Creating music using illegal content

Discussion in 'Education' started by angeldummy, Jul 4, 2012.

1. angeldummy

angeldummy Newbie

Hello all ...
    I start this topic today (and I hope the moderator doesn't kill it) , with hope that I will find some answers , about a question
    who is in every body mouth , but all are afraid to ask it ... :rofl:
    I downloaded that tone of content what I find on this magnificent thing call internet ( VST , VSTi , Samples Packs , ETC )and I
    wanna start making some music , commercial and some jingles for radio ...
    Now the question is :
    Can you get caught using this illegal vst / samples ?
    Thank you...

3. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

John Dahlback uses cracked software and downloaded samples...

There are maybe psychoacoustic tagged VSTs, but I never heard of those.

Samples are watermarked, but the watermark only hints to the original buyer of course.

Perhaps they can catch you, but they cannot do nothing. You bought your stuff on Ebay, right? ;)

Of course if you are a famous radio jingle producer, you then could replace your test versions with legit ones... ;)

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  4. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Angeldummy,

Well, thank you for your invitation ! So, here we go... :rofl:

From my point of view... a bit complex to answer you accurately, mainly due to the different agreements and/or licenses at your disposal and proper to each 'Samples & Sounds' Libraries developers. *yes*
    Some developers of these kind of Libraries stipulate that all the contents of their Libraries are 'Royalty Free', whereas others include some limitations and you can solely use some parts of their contents legally...
    The best way, in my own opinion, is to well read and understand properly the rights that you have, as an user, over a particular Library that you bought and use. The majority of these Libraries include specific clauses, and in some sense, the best way for you to stay out of legal problems and possible legal actions is to apply these rules as stated.

Another solution, certainly used by many users of these kind of Libraries (I do it sometimes !) is to slightly (or not so slightly ! :rofl: ) tweak, transform, process,... some of the audio material that you like within a particular Library (in case of a somewhat 'restricted' Library), then use it within your own projects. In this case, even if you use an already existing audio material, the fact that you make it yours in some sense, can perhaps be seen as not be a 'pure' copy, but maybe I'm wrong (?). I'm absolutely not involved in a big knowledge of specific 'Copyright' Laws and related topics (that could also be slightly different among countries), this goes far beyond my competences ! *yes*
    However, I know that some countries, particularly Francophone countries, are very 'picky' about the melodies included in the songs protected by copyrights.

This was for the 'Samples & Sounds' Libraries...

Now, concerning the VSTi & VST, beware because some Plug-Ins developers make frequent 'home calls' to your(s) Computer(s) through your(s) Internet connection(s) while you are eventually 'on-line' when using some DAWs, Plug-Ins,... simply to check if you use some of their products illegally ! The best solution when you use these Plug-Ins, is to simply stay away from Internet. You can eventually use some specific apps and a good firewall to block these intrusions, but the more effective solution, in my own opinion, is to either make music, or surf on Internet ! *yes*

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. sjcongo

sjcongo Member

It depends of coppyright issues... If you use cracked Daws try to rename the bounce props or to rec to an ext device (if u give to an auth label). As you produce sound the only problem is to make original and good music no matter what you use :P :wink:

6. sjcongo

sjcongo Member

sorry, PS:

I paid all my Daws and 80 precent plugs... If you really produce money then it's a real shame not to pay your software makers, huh? :bleh:

• Agree Agree x 23
    • Like Like x 7
    • List
  7. MARJU GRLYO

MARJU GRLYO Noisemaker

True ! Or buy them one by one as soon as you can afford ! But it's mostly a self conscious matter... I couldn't watch myself in the mirror if I know I make money with warez by using them in my productions...

There's still a legal matter, don't know if one software editor recognize one of his synth, will he make a research to find out if you own this synth or not ? I don't think so... Maybe there's other ways to get caught (There's the "call home" plugins but it's no big deal so far, but I don't use them anymore, we never know...)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. virusg

virusg Rock Star

well said man, cheers !

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

It would be virtually impossible for any sample maker or VST\Software designer to catch u, they would have a better chance winning the lottery, as much digital content is out there these-days.

That said.. God knows you're doing it. *yes*

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. sjcongo

sjcongo Member

it's like having a restaurant where you sell stealed food.... :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. sjcongo

sjcongo Member

Ok now, seriously if you are learning or just curious about music technology it's ok to try or even install full warez... But if you extend(give) demos or you assume any copyright from media containing/stolen software/hdw you may have some trouble...

12. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

there was a rummer going around about a year ago that Waves plug's had some type of hidden water mark in it and that they can analyze a song and they can tell if there plugins were used im share it can be done but it sound's like bull to me BUT when it comes to SAMPLES for example if you use some down loaded samples for a song or commercial and you know its going to be a hit song then just go to the legit Web site and buy the sample Kit then your covered it a no brainer :wink:

13. Studio 555

Studio 555 Producer

@ Lyric8,

Your comment seems logical, fair and wise... but what I find less 'logical' is 'how the heck' you can know in advance that a song you make will be a 'Hit' or not ? :dunno:
    I mean, even with a 'Crystal Ball' and a bit of 'sorcery stuff', could you be certain that your next published song will be a 'Hit' ?
    Sorry, but this seems, a least for me, more like a 'lottery game' than a correct prediction. *yes*
    Don't you think that things would be so easy if each artist/composer/musician,... could provide that its next song is going to be a 'Super Hit' ?
    And unfortunately, in this story, it's always a large audience that decide if your next song will be a 'Hit' or not... *yes* , don't you think ?

14. charnk

charnk Newbie

When we're young, we all wanted to grow up to be the President, or an athlete, or maybe even one of the chosen few famous radio jingle producers.

15. mindpassfilter

mindpassfilter Member

- The only thing that matters is if you have a story that is more convincing to the judge than the sample or plugin company that sues you.

16. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Lyric8... what's a rummer? :rofl:

17. Lord Gaga

Lord Gaga Member

The lawyer who will lay a more convincing story will cost you about 500 to 700 dollars per hour. At this rate, it might be better to legally buy all your software...

18. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

You can always do it the Dahlback way, saying you'r just using cracked stuff for convience, with the bought stuff on the shelves. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

If you make commercial music for the radio.
    The radio pays you.
    You can buy your stuff!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. google

google Newbie

I'm the POLICE and you are all busted!!!!!! ! !! ! AAAa a aa a aaGHHHHh

HANDS UP OR I'll shooooot!

"Can i get in trouble for using a dirty crack?" ? ? ? ? ? ?

:)

most trouble i get in is too much pirate stuff not enough work done

if you buy a few bits you see the whole thing differently. and kind of respect it a bit more.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  21. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

You're safe, unless someone specific turns you in. Even with that they probably won't litigate because of the cost.

To others: unless you buy 100% of your software you have no business telling others to buy their software.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List