Creating Music Resume

Discussion in 'Education' started by EXKXO, Apr 5, 2014.

1. EXKXO

EXKXO Newbie

I have created a normal resume for my regular jobs. But Im going to make a resume to send into recording studios and radio stations to inquire about interning for the summer. I have material, references, experience, all of the info needed. But if someone can help me with a basic outline that would be awesome.

3. vibes

vibes Newbie

google "resume for music jobs".....

I think you'll find tons of useful info there :)

4. eskimoz

eskimoz Member

you forgot to put this: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=resume+for+music+jobs

now that is sharing wisdom :rofl:

wtf dude! to lazy to awnser? :dunno:

anyone knows how to google! the dude is asking for more help then that.

idk not my biz so i dont know how to help you EXKXO

5. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

Portfolio portfolio portfolio.

There is little better way to show you are 'right' for the job other than showing them your work. You have those that color outside the lines and you have the M.C. Escher.

When i went into sound design/production it was all about the portfolio. Show works youve personally done, works youve done for others, prepare a demonstration if your a live musician, etc.

As for resume. Read this: Advice for the Aspiring Sound Designer

Talk yourself up. 'Acoustical Mastery', simplified means you set up a room for proper acoustics. BUT IT SOUNDS AWESOME. But dont bloat yourself too big otherwise you look foolish.

6. halcyo

halcyo Newbie

^^^^
    Agreed.

Words on paper are not gonna get it done. Thankfully we live in the internet age, where it's easy to show off your work with a single link in an email. Have a good website/Soundcloud/etc page that is STUPID SIMPLE and does little else but have play buttons for your best previous works. Put interesting titles/captions/descriptions if you like, but people will be wowed by the pudding proof.

For a 'real music JOB', people will want to feel like you are very talented/skilled, and that you work prolifically and have high output (aren't lazy, won't miss deadlines). Prove this subconsciously by have a LOT of stuff to listen to on your page, or by making it clear that one or more of your tracks is 'brand new' or 'today's piece', or 'the song I finished yesterday', etc. In other words, keep it updated (or looking updated at least). A youtube channel could be a good way to display this. Trickle out a piece once a week, even if it's backlog stuff, to show people that you do this CONSTANTLY- and that it's already a JOB for YOU.

7. EXKXO

EXKXO Newbie

Yes thank you excellent advice guys thanks! *yes*

8. thisis theend

thisis theend Member

Since it's an internship and not regular employment you're looking for I wouldn't overthink the resume.
    You can simply start with a short positive presentation of yourself, who you are and what you do now and a little bit about your background.
    Then explain why you wanna work in this particular field.
    To make it more personal you can say something nice and specific about them. Like if it's a radio station maybe say what you like about their work. Not too much, just a little snack to feed their ego.
    Then just add the references and portfolio stuff you have.
    Keep it positive, short and sweet.