creating melodies course - any good ?

Discussion in 'Education' started by glassybrick, Jan 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Well it's nothing like as narrow and tiny as you portray it to be.

Creativity is not trying to appropriate the word creativity, and then pretending, and desperately hoping, that the word applies to just your personal favourite cultural pursuit.

Let's take it as given that some (but not most) people operating in areas like Music and Visual Arts are fabulously creative.
    By all means give them your comical "Big-C" medal if you want.

But now how about awarding a "Mega-C" to Isaac Newton for creating calculus and specifying laws of classical mechanics, and how about awarding another "Mega-C" for Einstein for creating the Theory of General Relativity, and while we're at it, with your criterion of "changing how people feel, think or live" let's be sure to give a "Mega-C" to Martin Luther King. They all really do deserve those 'Mega-C' awards even if all three of them might be hopelessly inept at Music and Art (and sound design)

Let's not hide in our tiny little corners, insecurely pretending that the only important examples of creativity are the ones we personally play with - to make that mistake is frankly tiny minded and 'not very creative'.

Creativity - with a "Mega-C" is everywhere - not just in your playground.

2. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I the artist am rational when I visit the supermarket with a list in my hand, though creative when I'm home cooking a meal.

I can be both, and sometimes at the same time.

I might create an alternate guitar tuning on a whim to push my creativity, to see where it might lead me, though then I must think a bit rationally in order to make sense of my new structural predicament before I can again let that drop to the wayside in order to free myself and explore.

I love to play as a child plays, create mindlessly, though in order to gather stones, wood, feathers and whatever else I find at the beach I must create a plan of acquisition.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Now he's even talking about Isaac Newton and the concept of creativity.
    Sorry you have to lead the conversation alone, you are too unworldly for me and very far removed from the reality of an artist.

Arrogant is the term usually used to describe people who think they are better than others. They do not regard their fellow human beings as their equals, but condescend to them. On other people they seem haughty, arrogant, vain and conceited. They belittle other people and give them the feeling of being inferior.

Some sound art from me:

Sonic Sirius - Synthesizer Soundsets
    Freeware Soundsets for Software and Hardware Synthesizer
    http://ohlenbostelhelge.magix.net/public/

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Absolutely, and that joyful silly playful inner-child is a most precious asset - for those of us who haven't lost it.
    I would entertain the hypothesis that if and when we let that inner child fade away - then kiss goodbye to writing decent melodies.

Lois's expression of comfortably drifting back and forth between rational and creative, and just naturally not caring too much about which is which, is spot-on. And when in that state there is just no need, and no inclination, to be limited to one and defensively attack the other.

The contrast between someone comfortably creative and rational, versus someone defensively propping up their world - is stark.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Is this thread still going? Just get Scaler, it contains every chord & scale under the sun. Learn by doing! Or as a wise teacher once told me, choose between pomposity & practicality. And if your creativity is low, lock yourself in your studio with a bunch of great records, and let your brain absorb them. Then try recording some interesting micro snippets, and don't worry about making an entire song. These micro snippets will be the basis of your future songs, so take care of them :)

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

going way off topic. You are not helping OP to find a course, which is what he asked for. Closed