Creating Emotional Strings

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by babybrown, Jul 18, 2011.

1. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

I am using Kontakt in various programs on PC. Including, Pro Tools, Ableton and now, Sonat X1.

Can the AET function be made to work across the board with a group of Multi out Kontakt instances? Say... a string or Brass section and are there any other tricks to smearing your listeners with dynamics - aside from volume and velocity automation?

Also, when using Voxos or Requiem what trix are there to naturalize the changes between notes to make them more real sounding - ie, sometimes they kind of flick from one note to the next or there is a noticeable change.

Just looking to start a dialogue as I know there are a lot of hot composers on this forum and I would love to pick up some REAL game from real composers.

Thanks a bajillion. To compose a score is my life's dream right now and I'm working soooo hard to get this music out of my heart and into the air!.

All the best,

BBP

3. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

With strings using a little vibrato on the mod wheel usually improves dynamics quite a bit, once you hold a note briefly bring a little vibrato in... as far as the transitioning, you can set the release time up a little bit to allow you a little overlap between notes, or you can find the setting for legato, which will allow only one note at a time, and will transition smoothly to the next note played; you should be able to adjust the legato time too. But just fyi, I am definitely not a real composer, and I DEFINITELY don't have any real game lol :rofl:

4. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

This were excerpts from the book "How Music Really Works" by Wayne Chase..
    You may already know them but just in case

hope this helps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. djmonkeystyle

djmonkeystyle Newbie

Above the rest..

my favorite is the Diabolus in Musica .AKA The Devils Fifth or TRI-TONE

:grooves:

6. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

Duly noted but... thank you for your very intelligent and succinct answer :wink:

7. babybrown

babybrown Ultrasonic

Thanx man - these are some very well culled tidbits for anyone looking to improve the impact of their pieces!

You catz rok!!! :wink:

8. crichton13

crichton13 Newbie

That was a very interesting read - VMT to the poster for upping it.

I had an idea that strings could evoke certain emotions but never did I realise that it was so far reaching!

JC