Creating Commercial Quality Track

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by randomtask, Jan 7, 2014.

1. randomtask

randomtask Ultrasonic

hello community

i don't really post much but this post will be asking question more then anything.

ill use my song as an example here is a link http://www40.zippyshare.com/v/82990078/file.html (sorry dont have soundcloud atm)

my first question is how to do i make the quality of my sounds sound better and stronger. for example i used soundgoodiser to enhance some sounds but this is very limited to what you can do and came make things sound bad in some cases. how else can i do this?.

next question is how to get my song sounding good on all speakers. for example i can get it to sound really good on my monitors. tho soon as i put it on other speakers it changes a lot. when i put it in my car (speakers r more expensive then my car typical p plater) it sounds like a completely different song, everything sounds poorly mixed. how can i fix this?

i want to make my song sound better, was wondering what techniques some of you mite use to do this eg.plugins.

cheers guys

3. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

basically what Xsze said...

in a nutshell: you must learn.

never heard of 'soundgoodizer' before....sounds like something that doesn't even come close to working the way its name sounds. :dunno:

use the links Xsze posted to get your knowledge up. these tutorials are also good: 5 Minutes To A Better Mix

4. Sounded good to me.

5. kankun

kankun Member

mm,i dont think it sounds that good, OP is right, he might hear it ok on his monitors, but the track it's not that good on all systems.

6. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

get quality ghost producers or start working hard as you can, results will come

7. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

I couldn't have said it better :mates:

8. Evorax

Evorax Rock Star

Hello mate!

There's actually nobody in this world to achieve commercial quality in just a few steps. Soundgoodiser is a toy for beginners and also you can't fix up the problems right on the master channel. You have to treat every mix's element in particular, to make sure that every element is suitable to eachother, equalised correctly, some compression when is needed (not always and also avoid overcompressing), you have to learn also about the panning, balancing the levels, etc. There's absolutely no commercial quality song available that was achieved with less steps or in a short way. Find all the tutorials on this forum and also youtube and make sure you don't leave it till you deepen your knowledge checking everything. Also after you've learned the essentials make sure to keep practice and experiment by yourself, because most of the time your ears will bring the commercial quality to your songs, not the tools themselves. :wink:

9. retroboy

retroboy Producer

I think Xsze summed it up nicely.

The mix sounds fine to me. Personally I'd be tempted to drop the parts filling out the mid freq's just for a breather/ break down. But I don't think there is some majic plug-in which will make a massive difference to what you've already done. I think dropping/ adding instruments based on what frequences they are made up of is the key :grooves:

10. smartlad

smartlad Member

It's not plugins you are after it's better sound design and sample choice.

I personally don't use it, I prefer other alternatives, but Soundgoodiser isn't a toy for beginners at all and can really beef up a sound, just needs not to be abused. A lot of these 1 knob plugs get a bad rep but they can be useful and give you that little something what you're after. There's more than one way to skin a cat!

11. Blister

Blister Newbie

Over the last few years i've made a lot of crappy mixes. I've had more succes with my latests music.
    But it's not because i used better plugins. Neither did i use a "soundgoodizer"

I was more critical and learned to rely more on my ears.
    I tested all my songs in different environments, on different speakers.
    I was more careful with Eq (EQ can really destroy your music).
    Not completely removing/ cutting all the low end in my guitar for example with a steep slope (96db) In short more subtle use of Eq.

I checked every instrument had it's own place in the mix. What sounds mono or stereo? Are my hihats or snares taking room where my vocals should be?
    What sounds near and what sounds faraway? And how does my mix compare to other commercial tracks in the same genre.

Just the standard things you hear over and over again. For me it was time to put them to practice.
    And with good resultst, cause now i get compliments instead of the usual complaints.

Hope this helps, i needed a kick in the butt............:)

12. randomtask

randomtask Ultrasonic

thanks everyone for your reply's its been really help full. really appreciate it thanks heaps :)