Creating and organising symlink for vst folder and vst content folders

Discussion in 'PC' started by Thuncke, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Hello,

I have a 128gb Surface Pro. The HDD is always filling up. I would like to install all of my vsts and corresponding content folders onto an external ssd drive using HardLinkShellEXT. Reading around I see it is all fine, but my question for the more knowledgeable is; should i uninstall all my vsts and fresh resinstall with new syslink folder system in place, or can i create a new folder, move my orginal vsts and install my other ones? I assume the latter is ok, but looking for any caveats...

Lastly, irrespective of whether i do a fresh install or copy and build on my original folder, should the symlink folder connection be set up before any new installation of vsts and i install into it?

Any help appreciated, thanks:)

3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

4. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Thank you SmoothGrooves

I had a look on forum but so many threads i ended up asking. Mods, im happy for this to be closed or removed.

Thanks again!

5. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Some DAWs can use simple shortcuts.
    Ableton as an example : i could organize ALL my plugins with simple shortcuts and folders (Compressor,EQ,AnalogSynth ...)

If it work with all your DAWs, you can even create a different "shortcuts structure" for each one (like removing synths from you mixing/mastering DAW).

Symlink is not always mandatory for plugins :wink:

6. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

could you show us a snipped picture of how it looks like ?
    whats the benefit of this ?

7. Smoove Grooves

Quicker to find insts or plugs in your daw.

8. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The plugins themselves can be freely moved almost always as long as they're in the right vst folder. Not the files in other folders though, like programdata and so on.
    But I think the OP just wants to put them in other disk.

9. Smoove Grooves

So report your own thread.
    You can't expect Oly to read all comments!

10. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I'll leave this thread here, as some answers are specific to this situation.
    Moving vst folder can be a delicate thing, so it's good to treat this matter in a specific thread.

11. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Fair point Smooth Grooves, i am still learning the ropes / etiquete. Oly didnt even cross my mind. I know for future, thanks

12. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Thanks for the responses :) I have installed my vsts on an external drive previously and it worked, but I find my small HDD just keeps filling up with other data from my vsts etc (i do have a desktop that is broken and i have no time to fix just now).

I was thinking about symlink as progs like Reason dont allow you to install prog data anywhere but where they stipulate on cdrive (talking about my rack extensions - they take up a fair whack in GBs).

So i thought to solve once and for all, until i fix my desktop, i could symlink the c/ vst location and prog data to a folder(s) on my ssd. I just wasnt sure if i should create the symlink for my current installations, including my Reason rack extensions and THEN install all my other vsts into the symlink, or if i should install vsts and progs first and then create. But it seems if i do the latter i will run out of room on the c drive before i can get to creating the symlink.. if you see what i mean.

You know, i have 128gb c/ space - i need adobe suite (each app taing up a g or 2), a couple of daws, vsts and respective data.... so yea, symlink seemed logical for time being.

Im gonna try it out this evening, cheers!

13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

It'll probably work, Use that nice "hard link shell extension" and good luck

14. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Merci Xupito :wink:

15. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

The order does not matter.
    Once the symlink is created, your computer and all programs "believe" that the folder is still where it was, so anything you will install will be installed in vst folder and program data...

One important detail, when you are going to do that, you must copy the folder to the other place, and then delete the original otherwise, you will receive an error message on symlink creation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Thuncke

Thuncke Kapellmeister

Thanks Oly,

Finish work for the festive period at the weekend so will get time to take my time an do it. Have been organising all my sample libs in the meantime :) Trying to get things as streamlined as i can for the new year. Once done I'll update the thread with how it goes for future ref for other newbs :)

All the best

17. tgunz020707

tgunz020707 Kapellmeister

I use link shell i think its called its extremely easy to use and its free.You right click the folder you want to symlink and pick link source.Then go to the folder you want the file to be in right click drop as symlink theres 2 other options not sure honeslty what they are but its alot faster then doing it manually.It works perfectly for me I use it for libraries that force you to install on a certain drive or any other thing I need it for.I just learned about symlink not to long ago and now I wonder where its been all my life lol

Example: my acoustica audio plugins install in steinberg vst but I have my vst on another ssd .so what I did was drag the folder to my other harddrive delete the first initial folder .right click the folder on the new drive and "pick link source" then go to where the folder started at initially right click anywhere in the window scroll down to "drop as". theres 6 options i use the top one symbolic link and your done honeslty not sure what the others are for I thought there was only three but theres six options total.Hope this helps because its made symlinking a breeze for me

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021