Create your own "sample brand"

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by davea, Jan 27, 2017.

1. davea

davea Platinum Record

Hi guys,
    since a while, I heard my friends telling me that I should create my sample brand and sell it on the web.

First I was laughing to them 'cause there are billion of sample resources on the net, plus you can have access to a gigantic free sample resource @ Freesound.com and Co… And this is a really difficult market.
    But along the years, the idea kept his way until few days ago, where I've told to myself :"why not?"
    My way of doing it and my goals are to just make an humble tiny one man brand with a clear vision/sound to sell.

What kind of sample do you make, will you tell me? Well, it goes from soundscapes, drones, beats, loops, from ambient stuff to more crazy dirty-ish. It's about samples but also Ableton intsruments, racks etc…

Is there anyone who runs this kind of business already and would kindly add some inputs? That would be awesome. I 've some ideas on how I should start but if I could have feedbacks and share it to not just me but to the community too :)

You can listen some of the sound I make at my website, where there is a SC player. All tracks there are unfinished, but it lets you enough to have an idea of what I'm doing.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Cant connect to your website .... seems there are some problems with the cofiguration of your site!
    Cheers

4. davea

davea Platinum Record

haha! my bad, its solved (give a bad links!!)

5. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Working!! :wink:

Rustic appearance - like it! I´ll get back when you have same samples there!!!

Good luck mate .... its a tough business!!

6. DonnieDarkko

DonnieDarkko Newbie

I'm totally digging the direction you're going in with the production. Dope! If you need anyone to contribute let me know especially in the world of Ableton Live :)

7. davea

davea Platinum Record

Thanks @DonnieDarkko, that means a lot to me. If you could let me an email in PM please, which I could let you know any news about it, that could be perfect.

8. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Can you please sample an 808 through some gear that has tubes in it? Doesn't even matter what it is as long as it's outboard vintage analog with tubes. I would buy it immediately because all music in the future will be made only with 808 samples.

Yes, that's sarcasm. I think 95% of the sample pack market has been done to death--over and over and over. I'm not a big fan of home-made instruments like water jugs played with forks and that kind of thing, but at least it's original.

Edit: That's not some critique or commentary on your idea or you personally, I'm wishing you creative luck, and I hope you are able to come out with some original things. There ARE ideas that haven't been exhausted, so I'm crossing my fingers!

9. davea

davea Platinum Record

Haha! You got the point @Rasputin . I just produce a type of sounds I'm looking for for my needs. And I think that it may be interesting to someone else too.

10. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

The sample market is weird to me because I feel as if old-school sampling was all utilitarian--as in cleanly sampled bread-and-butter sounds that you could use for just about anything and then apply your own mojo to them. Now I feel as if it's all about taking tried-and-true classic workhouse sounds and coloring them with distinct character--which is where the "I took an 808, DMX, Drumulator, and Linn and sampled it through an E-mu SP1200" phenomenon comes from. Almost every new school pack is some variant of that idea, or construction kits where someone makes a song in an up-and-coming or currently popular style (used to be dubstep/EDM or trap, now it's synthwave, outrun, future bass) and then breaks it into stems so the next person can just paste them back together to get more-or-less the same song yet gets to feel creative for being so genius as to put the loops back on top of each other.

I'm clearly a fan of the old school market where people had to rent equipment and do work to find loop points.

I know this is probably a small market, but there's a serious lack of pre-made stuff for the Korg ES-1.

This is bordering on synth patch creation rather than sampling, but there doesn't seem to be much for transwave oriented stuff available either.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. davea

davea Platinum Record

I see your point. Thanx for your feedbacks man.
    For me, as I almost not use others samples than mine, It's an other scenario. What I could see & listen since I'm interested in sounds (like around 20 years) I just felt in this statement: "who cares? " As long as the sound inspire me to go further, or just show me another way, I'm in. Since the beginning there is this work on sampling "take a sound and make it yours", by Mpc's, Emu's, pedals or any hardware/outboards, and today somtimes via computer only. "This MPc is the shit, its the RogerLinn, it has amazing' preamps" and so-one … This is not new at all. It just became a marketing tool for some creators.

For ES-1, interesting. I will look into it. But I don't see the point of lack of pre-made stuff. Could you enlighten me?

12. Rasputin

Rasputin Platinum Record

Well, let's say I buy a Korg ES-1 and fiddle with the factory sound bank for a while and then I think, "Nah, this stuff is clichéd, dated, and boring. I wish I had some banks loaded with <insert favorite style here> sounds." Everything is so geared toward Kontakt now that it's hard to find sets of samples that are ready to drop into other things. Yeah, a lot of times you can get Halion, or maybe NNXT too, and almost always the raw WAVs, but if you've worked with a Korg ES-1 then you know how tedious bank creation is.

Sometimes it isn't even the sound of a sample library that I desire, but the format of it. Don't forget that the tediousness of mapping/looping samples is something of a buzzkill for most people. If they have to do any manual labor before dropping a WAV into a sampler and then start punching the drum pads then it's GAME OVER. It's a plug 'n play, grab 'n go, convenience qwik mart society. If it's not in an easy pre-made package then why would I want it?

I don't personally feel that way, but I know the vast majority doesn't want to waste their time making sure that hi-hats cut each other realistically.

There's a serious vacuum for the Korg ES-1. There are two factory banks, no more than three user-made banks which are free and mediocre, and almost literally no sample banks you can buy for it. I think I've only seen one ES-1 bank for sale anywhere. And I've looked.

Remember when Reason refills were super popular and how they did so well? They were everywhere. There's a lack of exciting new banks coming out for older samplers. Smaller market than Kontakt, for sure, but if someone dropped a fresh Ensoniq EPS16/ASR10 bank then it would definitely get my attention.

If you're looking for a niche for a one-man operation--a little personal slice of pie--then that's the first thing that comes to mind.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. davea

davea Platinum Record

14. abcordle

abcordle Ultrasonic

I know Soundethers is not a big hugely successful sample company but i really love how they use everyday sounds in their work to create atmospheres and drones and such, like in The Light. And from what I can tell a lot of the small guys use some form of the Photosynthesis engine. It definitely seems doable....good luck

15. davea

davea Platinum Record

Hey @abcordle ! Thanx for your great input, I didn't even knew about the Photosynthesis engine. I will check this out for sure :) Soundethers are doing great job there!

16. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

I had a listen to your music and i liked it. i feelt good. i felt at home in your music universe.
    I like your sounds and samples and they way YOU sound. - sounds fresh, and unique

so...... Go a head man, go for it!
    you have already made the "product(s)" (sounds/racks) all the hard work!
    now you just need to "compile" it in to a neat format/pack(s)

You could create "themes" for your "pack series" in a way that fits with your vision to devide things up a little.

really just go for it. throw yourself at it and figure out stuff as you go along. Challenges will show them self and you just have to walk thru them.

other than that, you seem you already know what you want to achive. the rest is "easy" :)

17. davea

davea Platinum Record

@reliefsan : Thank you so much for your kind words, encouragement which confirmed my decision to go further :D