Creaking, squeaking, clattering, clanging...

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by platoon, Dec 2, 2016.

1. platoon

platoon Newbie

Hello guys; I need some extreme metal/strings, especially sounds like creaking, squeaking, clattering, clanging... Something like the train wheels on the rails... Just as for example, the effect that Tale Of Us use at 00:38 in North Star:

May you help me, please? What kind of VST plugin for Mac may I use for that? Any idea also presets for them, please?

Thanks in advance to alle participants to this thread, cheers, Platoon

3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Boom library has released a free version of it's Cinematic Trailers bundle, which includes a metal construction kit. Not presets but a collection of audioclips.
    http://www.boomlibrary.com/boomlibrary/products/cinematic-series-free-sfx

There's also a 99Sounds donationware Kontakt library called The Warehouse that you might like to try...
    http://99sounds.org/the-warehouse/

As regards recreating the sound that you hear at 0:38 in your attached clip, it sounds to me like the simplest method would be to use a pair of softsquare oscillators with one OSC slightly detuned, the sum of which is passed through a delay and smothered in reverb. Pretty much any VSTi that allows you to select two (or more) softsquare waveforms and detune them will do the job. A slow attack, no delay, short hold and long release on the synth's ADSR envelope makes the sound swell and diminsh while the reverb acts as a glue to hold it all together. Tweaking the delay adds some extra phase additions and cancellations which you can fine tune by varying the delay amount.

Here's one that I made earlier with the method described above. The VSTi was just bog standard 3xOSC inside FLStudio.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  4. platoon

platoon Newbie

Great answer, DarthFader... I'm looking forward to try solutions that you've provided :wink: