Crate digging resources

Discussion in 'DJ' started by TruBlood, Aug 28, 2017.

1. TruBlood

TruBlood Kapellmeister

Best resources for crate digging/finding samples from other tunes. Hopefully they are already pre chopped up. Any resource like this out there? Maybe a big ass torrent or pack (collection of them) out there?

3. Maizelman

Maizelman Rock Star

Never heard about such collections, especially if you expect pre-chopped originals but I never really searched for crates like that. I'd say it takes a lot of fun from the experience of the crate diggin' process. :unsure: On the other hand there are some big sample libraries out there, which contain samples that sound like they were pre-chopped originals. Maybe that could be a way to go.

I'd definitely feel kinda spoon-fed, going this road. There are certainly a lot of websites or maybe torrents where you can find genre specific stuff. The big packs are hard to find nowadays. I'd always go for music that I like myself and my taste varies from time to time. Consider that maybe I'm too old to give you zeitgeisty advice because I'm already digging in the crates for 20 years. :break::chilling:

But I think when you use samples which you personally digged and chopped, the result will be the most pleasing to yourself and possibly to your listeners, too. Be aware, that there is also music in TV, so specific OSTs can also serve as a resource.
    If you want to do the old-skool way once, even if you don't have much money, try flea-markets and shady underground record-stores (I still love that way the most). And for sure, today YouTube is also a good place to dig for them unordinary soundin loops.

Have you read other AS threads like this one?
    @Rasputin made an interesting comment there.

Nonetheless, would be interesting if you or another member find some pre-chopped originals. For me sampling was and still is a journey to places I could have never imagined. Have fun (most important) !! :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

Set yourself a loopback channel on your audio interface then the world becomes your crate.

My Spotify and Tidal don't have the artists I like, I use them just for finding obscure stuff which I favourite then come back to. When I'm finally ready to chop them, I record them using th loopback into my DAW just like one would do with vinyl.

I typically dig on YouTube and Spotify, then try to find the song on Tidal (44.1khz), worst case Spotify.

Anytime I find one of those sample packs I become skeptical, "how many have used this already?"

There was one song on Kendrick's Damn that sampled from I think it was loopmasters organic something (search it on whosampled). Though the song was dope and the flip was nice kinda made me lose a little respect for the producer.

Recently DJ Premier did and interview
    . At 46:45 he mentions how he never takes suggestions for samples from anyone because he's "selfish" and wants all the credit for himself. And one of the greatest feelings for him is when people are asking what and where he found the sample.

3/4 of the sampling is finding the sample. I get it it's much tougher than you expected. I bought 50 records and only came out with 2 kinda useable sections. For every 30 song in spotify I find one thing that could be worked with and out of those only 10 percent are still worthy when I go back to them to chop.

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I'm not sure you know what you are trying to do is about.

6. curtified

curtified Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

also for hiphop olskool like akai chop chop from vinyl u can dig "internet archive".. lots i've found golden/retro age vinyl there.. :shalom:

8. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Do you buy your food pre chopped-up as well? What do you express if you use pre-chopped samples of from somebody else? Where is your personality in that? Why should I isten to you, if there's no part of you in the beat? Robots can do what you do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. morris

morris Ultrasonic

2021 sources?

10. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

r u t r a c k e r [FLAC] albums + Adobe Audition = x

11. Haliax

Haliax Guest

It all depends what you are looking for in terms of sound, I really dig old blues records and there are a ton of films out there rich in samples to grab.

12. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

You sound super lazy fam.
    Like 5teezo said, why would anyone listen to you if there's no part of you in the beat?

13. Andsoitseems

Andsoitseems Ultrasonic

I drop credits at boom bap labs..
    Non royalty free digging for the lazy producer in you.

boombaplabs dot com

14. Plainview

Plainview Rock Star

vinyl frontier + Search for artist name and producer you will find amazing shit all the time if you know where to look

15. recycle

recycle Guest

Unfortunately all the copyright restrictions of recent years have made it almost impossible to create "cut/paste music" as it was done in the 90s. Yes, the noble art of sampling has been killed by bureaucrats. Note that one of the masterpieces of hiphop “De La Soul - 3 Feet higher and rising” (full album) is not present on any official distributor (spotify, tidal etc ..), due to the enormous problems it would cause with the dividend of royalties.
    As you know, sampling copyrighted material is illegal. If you produce a song including “illegal contents” and then just publish it, the song will be blocked from algorithms. This means that if you want to release it, there are 2 options:
    • Submit your work to the clearance process by contacting the rights holder and basically finding a business deal (good luck)
    • Rewrite the song, making the sample completely unrecognizable with pitch / chop / reverse processes
    One option that avoids all of these problems is to sample public domain material. On this topic, attention must be paid: for example creative commons rights of use do not include commercial exploitation. I would definitely stay away from the "royalty free" commercial sample packs: in these packs the royalties are often not free at all, you risk realizing it when it's already too late

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021
  16. morris

morris Ultrasonic

17. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

On the other side, we all know bullsh1t "artists" sampling magic music ... and stopping there :wink:
    Remember those sh1tty "artists" sampling Van Halen or Led Zeppelin songs DIRECTLY ?

What killed sampling is not only "copyright" : it is SH1TTY artists too !!!
    It is a whole system. And this system is dying.
    :like:

18. Dalty

Dalty Member

Fortunately we live in 2021 and RX8 can effectively separate most songs into usable stems...
    Pick a song, any song!
    Love the drum groove of this track but the keys in that one? Music Re-balance tool + a little time stretching and you're J f*****g Dilla.
    Of course, you'll have little to no artistic integrity... and you'll owe thousands to the record labels... but who cares? :chilling:

19. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

I don't want to be rude here but crate digging is like sex. The destination is expected and ultimately fantastic but it's the journey that defines the experience. Take your time, explore and have fun with it.
    Otherwise, it's like walking into a store to buy the latest "Now That's What I Call Music" edition and sampling that.
    I've found some awesome sounds just picking up random vinyl, tape and CDs from pawn shops, thrift stores and garage sales.
    The loopback idea is a winner. Or just output the audio from your phone or tablet into your audio interface and sample.

I used to sample those lo-fi trip hop channels on youtube but now I just listen to them while working or whatever and then recreating them from memory which ends up taking me on some lovely tangent.

We are artists. We are supposed to inspire each other. Everything else is bureaucratic bullshit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  20. cliquid

cliquid Member

I have been crate-digging and collecting breaks since 1983. I know a ton of places to get great beats and samples. And that's it. I am a crate digger, so there is no way I am going to reveal them. Have a great day.

21. Soul1975

Soul1975 Platinum Record

That's a dope sight with a lot of nice samples. Specifically the drums.

RX8 is a tool and just like any other tool it depends on how you use it.So breaking down a track to a few stems is not the same as what Dilla did.And the suggestion is super disrespectful in my opinion. Also look up some of the recent Jake One beat making vids. He uses RX8 and he is highly respected within the community.