crashes due to blocked ableton plugin scanner

Discussion in 'Live' started by gimmechords, Jun 16, 2021.

1. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

Hey ppl, I blocked ableton plugin scanner w my firewall alongside live exe, indexer, & web connect but I keep getting crashes to desktop.

Is there a way around this or do I have to allow plugin scanner access for it to run properly?

3. thomas78

thomas78 Kapellmeister

os? version?
    what is this plugin scanner? while rescan plugins, theres no new process. just ableton live 11 suite.exe, and ableton index.exe. i blocked only the main exe, and disabled the auto-updates. win 7, ableton 11

4. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

Im on Windows 10, and its 11.0.2. It comes up once in a while, and just keeps popping up everytime I hit ok. I blocked it in firewall because it was trying to connect.

Screenshot 2021-06-16 015620.png
    pluginscanner.PNG

screen2.PNG

5. flush with your foot

flush with your foot Platinum Record

It may be a plug that creates problems, try to open them one by one to see if they are all working!
    have a nice day.

6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Check your PluginScanner.txt log file after a scanner crash, that should give you a clue what plugin is causing this.

On Windows:

%APPDATA%\Ableton\<live version>\Preferences\PluginScanner.txt

On Mac:

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Ableton/<live version>/PluginScanner.txt

Also the Log.txt in the aforementioned locations might give more ideas what's wrong.

You can attach those files here if you need more help.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. OneAtheist

OneAtheist Newbie

There is no need to block the pluginscanner.

If you want to track/monitor .exe files and processes and where files go when you install them...

USE

Resource Monitor
    https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson6/

Saving Multiple Configuration Settings

You might find yourself using Resource Monitor for many different purposes at different times – for instance, if you want to quickly see which applications have open ports, you’d open Resource Monitor, choose Network, and then open up the listening ports panel and minimize the other ones so you can see it.

It’s worth pointing out that if you haven’t read our series on using the SysInternals Tools, this would be a great time to do that. Process Explorer is an extremely powerful tool that can help you manage tasks and see what’s going on.

8. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

2021-06-16T01:55:59.021976: info: Metadata: Initialize XMP system
    error: Scanner: Failed to set up IPC channel. .. shutting down because: Permission denied
    2021-06-16T01:55:59.027577: info: Exception: Windows Exception
    \:wow:

9. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

Okay thanks. If the software is all bootlegged, wouldn't that mean it can connect to the licensing servers or something?

10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

...that's all? Mine's about 700 lines long.

Sounds like a major issue if that's the case. Try running Ableton as Administrator ("Permission denied"), IPC issues are tricky shit.

If all else fails make a backup of that directory (%APPDATA%\Ableton), or at least preferences.cfg from there, try again.

If that fails then perhaps a reinstall is in order?

*edit:* Checked my installation, it's trying to open the local Live database (plugins + all indexed files, sqlite3 data) at that point, mine is at:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Ableton\Live Database\Live-files-41.db

Do you have anything there and is it readable by Ableton?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2021
  11. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

So I just posted the last lines where the crash occurred..

Tried running as admin, no change. I checked that folder you specified, and I do have Live-files-41.db in there. sure how to open it or make sense of the info.

I decided to just unblock it in firewall and the error has stopped for now. Thanks anyways.

12. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I had the same issue -- both in Ableton (10) and in Bitwig. Bitwig didn't crash, but I didn't get any audio out of it unless I was connected to a TCP/IP network. I didn't need to be connected to the internet, the local network was sufficient, but something in there needed to talk to something else before either app would work.

For some reason, the problem has gone away now. I've no idea why. Later versions of Ableton/Bitwig? Later versions of the VST's? Fresh install of the OS?

It would work if I ran Ableton as admin, but that caused more problems for me than it solved. I'm pretty sure it'd forget my authorization every time I started the app.

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a VST that was causing it. I'm certain that I would have tested it with everything but the stock VST's and that didn't resolve it. It could have been a crappy ASIO driver? Pretty sure that I was using ASIO4All at the time and I don't use that any more. Anyway, I'd concluded that it was definitely something about my set-up and not related to the cracked DAW's or the VST's. I've got a sense that it was a permissions issue on one of the folders but it was an issue for several years for me, and I've still got no real clarity about what solved it.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  13. gimmechords

gimmechords Member

Yeah I think you're right. I think in my case it was because I installed a bunch of older NI plugins that are probably very out of date.