Crackling and popping noises throughout exported WAV file export on fl?

Discussion in 'FL Studio' started by Brendan, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

So every time I try to export a mastered track, there are random crackling and popping sounds like a fireplace. Before anyone suggests clipping, my levels are set right and I've got a limiter on, everything is proper.

This issue has been recurring. I use a lot of third party plugins so I hope they aren't causing this. I read somewhere that using cracked plugins or using a cracked fl studio can cause this but am not sure how true this is.

If anyone has a solution or suggestion, please help. I left an example (this is an older track of mine with the evident crackles and pops attached.)

3. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Hi, I know you said you everything is proper. But just in case if you haven't check the internet money gain staging tutorial on youtube. Set everything to -12 using the volumes in the channel rack then mix with the faders in the mix window with kick as the loudest then bring it back up to the same level with the limiter on the master and then compare.
    The fruity filter also lower the resonance off helps.
    Let us know if that helped.

4. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

Clipping!
    Limiter not set right, imo. A limiter doesn't mean no clipping.
    I'll tell you how true it is seeing as you aren't sure...It's false.

Just listened. Only crackle I heard was @3:10 during the filter.
    But @1:50 or so, some strange pumping/fluctuation with kick.
    So I doubt irregular velocities, but I still fancy it's your limiter.

edit: oh. The dropouts in the first 5 seconds? Offline bounces are affected by buffer setting.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

I've watched and utilized this video. I gain stage each song. I thought it was my computers built in effects for audio so i turn those off when I export an audio file. It's a good technique to mix around the kick. What do you usually set your limiter too? I still get the crackles and pops even after gain staging.

6. Brendan

Brendan Kapellmeister

Yeah it's weird i hear the cracks and pops immediately when I export but I didn't hear them as much upon export to soundcloud or spotify. What is a good place to set limiters or does it vary? I never used to use a limiter but started using invisible limiter as I've been told it helps to regulate mixes and make sure the levels don't get too hot during mastering.

7. Smoove Grooves

Ah!
    Since 20 years ago, I'd still say that a realtime bounce is always going to be best.
    Plus, it's a new thing to have the option to export directly to a platform, from your daw, whilst being online...
    Which brings me to why you would encounter clicks.
    Because your computer will not be having to deal with lots of processes simultaneously, which can create pops and clicks even in a realtime bounce, if you avoid all these modern options.
    I'd recommend to be not online or with WiFi on, quit all other apps, and do a realtime bounce. Although usually then, an offline bounce is fine too.

Jim's comment for gain-staging is great advice imo.

I'm never going to be as up on 'mastering' as I'd like, so fellow member No Avenger is who I would talk to about it, if I were you.
    Or search for such a thread! In which he may have roared, and purred, his wise words.
    I may have the guts to tag him...to call the out the jungle sign...

8. Jim Von Gucci

Jim Von Gucci Producer

Before I watched that video, I would get a bad rattling sound in my car. Now I can crank it as loud as I want really.
    Limiter settings vary depending on the track. -0.3 on the output.
    Now I mainly just use Fabfilter limiter, it has more options and also presets to get you started.

9. Smoove Grooves

Although I don't like giving advice on mastering, I have to admit that this is also always the same with me!

10. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Take into consideration that you can clip a channel's in- and output and a plugin's in- and output, especially at 16 or 24bit.
    Also EQs with resonance can easily cause clipping during a sweep.
    When you say you got your levels set right you need to monitor a bunch of (in- and output) levels, especially if you're working close to 0dBFS.

11. No Avenger

I wonder where this number is coming from.

12. No Avenger

:woot: Whatever seems right. Though rarely more than a few dB.

:woot: What do you mean?

13. No Avenger

Absolutely, especially (third time now, need to work on it) if you already have a high CPU load every single app which demands some CPU activity every now and then can cause dropouts.

[​IMG] :bow:

14. No Avenger

For platforms I'd set it to -1TP (for some even at -2TP). At -0.3 it will be lowered immediately no matter the LUFS (apart from SC), with TP off even more.