Cracked software on M1 Macs

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by ensoniq, Aug 17, 2021.

1. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

sometimes yes, sometimes no,
    if you wanna use Rosetta2 emulation, you can just get Intel Mac instead, performance is noticeably degraded using Rosetta2

if you wanna go M1 Mac, you become a beta tester, even with legit software and plugins,
    many devs try to avoid acceptance of M1 Macs (AVID, Waves, Plugin Alliance, iZotope, Slate, Audio Ease and 99% other software/hardware devs...) so if you want just a fun device to mess with, sure M1 can be lot of headaches and struggles to mess with
    :chilling:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Hi Mate I go Ethernet to Ethernet from the Mac Mini to the Nuc using Audiogridder. Like I said before I share a keyboard via a USB switch. I have a Logitec trackball mouse connected directly to the Nuc and a Bluetooth mouse that can be switched between them and a trackpad.
    The screen appears in my DAW via the VST however I prefer to have a separate screen connected as it's more practical.
    The Nuc is never connected to the Net so it's rock stable.

Nuc Specs are:
    Its a 10th gen i7 4gig Intel Nuc (same processor as the i7 intel Mac mini)
    32gig Ram
    512 gig M.2
    7.6 TB SSD (yes 7.6 TB for my 5TB Kontact and other libraries)
    It has a thunderbolt port 6 USB3 with a card reader and HDMI

3. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Wow, that is a bit condescending :dont: "just have fun"? So you're implying the M1 isn't a professional player? Not in my and many others' professional experience... mind you, I'm actually writing tracks and not faffing about with software all day long (a bit of a buzz kill when you're trying to be creative).

Totally agree with you about Beta testing (for the record I've been a user and company beta tester) as it helps move things along.

I have had far fewer Headaches with the M1 and have had no performance degradation whatsoever, in fact, quite the opposite. I actually think in most cases software either doesn't run or runs better under Rosetta 2. My experience is it's the best machine and most stable computer I've ever owned and Big Sur is a winner for me. That's my experience in a nutshell but I have the best of both worlds I guess. Generally, I think OS's are getting way better.

Any perceived problems (like Bluetooth for instance) have not been a problem for me.
    So sorry, based on my "actual user experience" I would suggest and recommend the polar opposite.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. BigM

BigM Guest

Totally agree with this, after months of updates bluetooth issues and some minor bugs are gone. when talking about professional stuff it's a killer computer at the moment. lot of plugins work well without issues eg:fabfilter,waves,tbproaudio,xfer and many more!.

it's fast , stable , powerful , cool and quiet all in one package at a decent price.

note that this thing isn't a toy at all atleast for a genius baby like that guy.:winker:

5. statik

statik Audiosexual

translated: feel the power of my ignore!!

translated: feel the power of my i don't care!!

@Dimentagon thanx for the suggestion of audiogridder, was wondering if there was something like that

6. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Oh, you like talkin' shit?! > Welcome to my ignore list!

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

I wonder what exactly people disagree with in my previous post? :rofl:

8. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

cool and quiet? last time I tried Music Rebalance in iZotope RX 8 Advanced (Rosetta 2 of course), temps quickly ramped up 90ish degrees and fan kicked in over 4000 rpm on my M1 Mac Mini :dunno:

9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

fair enough,
    yes I still consider M1 lineup a transition beta testing platform (just the sheer fact Apple uses legacy Intel designs of chassis models means they aren't really serious about their M1 products to begin with),
    professional experience is native support, which so far most devs provide not, simple as that,
    and on top of that, there's crackers which now have to do twice the work, because most users are using Rosetta2 DAWs, which means proper crack requires both native M1 and Rosetta 2 code cracked...
    ...hopefully once the transition period is over, Apple won't provide Rosetta 2 any longer so software market cleans up a bit more :hahaha:

speaking of creativity, M1 is actually very refreshing - I decided not to use anything which doesn't have native M1 support, having just Reaper with few third-party plugins (Fabfilter, Analog Obsession) helps me do mixes faster and better, seriously :yes:
    writing tracks doesn't really need more than 2012 MacBook Pro dualcore i5 performance, so it's not that good indication of M1 performance leap I'm afraid, but obviously the overall speed of "response" by whatever I do on M1 is noticeably faster indeed,
    I didn't run into any limits on my 16GB M1 MacMini yet when it comes to audio workflow, but in other areas the entire system is somewhat lacking, especially in gpu performance and connectivity,

I agree there aren't really "headaches" about M1...except for increasingly more people reporting defective screens on M1 MacBooks which isn't flaw of M1 itself,
    performance degradation is somewhat relative, I base my experiences on comparisons with my i7-5820K hackintosh which runs older High Sierra system and is supposedly on par when it comes to multicore performance, at least what people say...

if M1 Mac is the most stable computer you've ever owned, then I feel almost pity for your previous experiences, I never had real issues with any of my computers (except for individual HDDs/SSDs which are prone to failure by design),
    I can't say bad word for Big Sur though, except maybe lack of nVidia drivers, which is a long-term Apple/nVidia problem :crazy:

10. statik

statik Audiosexual

somebody is having a bad day it seems

11. statik

statik Audiosexual

my 2013 imac still is alerting me the nvidia driver needs an update while it is the last one that supported that chipset

12. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Wow, Let me unpack that...they're not serious about a complete change of hardware architecture to integrate their platforms costing hundreds of millions marking the future direction of the company because they didn't retool the case?.. a pure genius observation. Beta? sorry mate you lost me.
    No its not. All software developers have been given ample notice that the platform was changing. The very fact that there is a transitional fix and the machine runs both platforms is extremely professional and a big commitment to the existing customer base. Crackers? yeah mate, weren't you moralizing at me in this thread about wares? Just ponder what you're saying for a second, Apple should consider the work of crackers in their software development program..yep that's crackers.
    Yeah, I totally agree, and a good observation. My guess is we will see the usual suspects like Avid with a huge Mac base dragging the chain as usual. I guess time will tell and it will sort out the stragglers. Its a lot of work for smaller companies, Bitwig seems to have managed well. Any native DAW manufacturer should revel in the fact that ARM just makes their software way more powerful in native mode.
    Totally agree, its not the meat it's the motion. Limiting yourself minimally definitely leads to greater productivity. My purchase of the Mac mini M1 was based on me wanting to get rid of my towers and move to something smaller less noisy more power and heat efficient. The extremely noticeable xtra grunt, especially for video was a huge bonus and selling point. The next generation will be better again.
    I'm running Davinci Resolve ( just installed 17.3 native) and sailing through 4k footage from my Panasonic cameras using multiple codecs. I use my main screen off a Display port from the expansion dock and the HDMI runs my Ninja inferno 10 bit display. I had a high-end 24 core Xeon windows box with tons of ram and a 5700xt and the M1 literally smashes it, so I just can't feel your apprehensions mate? I am having no such problems at all. You may be understandably emotionally invested in that Hackintosh build and need to let go (little dig mate, I appreciate the effort to get them up and stable :) ).

At the end of the day we're on the same page but my experience seems smoother. I don't want my machine to get in the way of my creativity and the M1 is working for me. Take care stay safe, Australia is in a shitty state at the moment, Covid has fucked everything.

13. BigM

BigM Guest

after months of use i never had temp issues or any noticeable noise with music production. yes, some softwares are not fully compatible and have issues. getting issues with incompatible softwares are common for any computer not only for ap silicon. but once after Rx got compatible with m1 i think it can get some assist from that neural engine to get that thing done nicely without issues.

one or few rare incompatible software issues doesn't ruin the whole experience and it's not a deal-breaker at all.

for me getting rid of my previous heavy computer that sucks off energy while flashing shitty rgb lights on my face with those noisy fans was a huge peace of mind.even it was plenty powerful for music production.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2021
  14. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

@Dimentagon perhaps there's a bit of misunderstanding,
    this thread topic is "Cracked software on M1 Macs" which is what I'm writing about the whole time primarily,
    sure non-audio software like Affinity, Resolve etc.. works fine, even OBS through Rosetta2 emulation supports M1 hardware encoder - but that's way offtopic I guess
    :winker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. BigM

BigM Guest

each others' experiences with same thing can be different , every person has different needs and a different angle of reviewing things. let's only try to help the guy without confusions.

i think the brief answer is yes, there are plenty k'd warez that work fine on m1. best bet is to search for your favourite software compatibility before buying , most of the time you will be fine but doing a little research won't hurt.:bow:

16. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

it's not that simple,
    majority of K'd plugins work only in Rosetta2 DAWs, but not on M1-native DAWs - the difference is rather obvious with for example Reaper DAW which offers both architecture versions,
    similarly many legit plugins crash in M1-native DAW and struggle in Rosetta2 DAW

17. BigM

BigM Guest

i don't know what kinds of plugins you use but for me it's fine and no issues. running logic pro in native mode, no any issues with plugins.

incl; waves , fabfilter, xfer, tbproaudio, dadalife, ik multimedia, cableguys, native instruments(except massivex), vital and many more!

18. ensoniq

ensoniq Noisemaker

Any Cubase users here on Apple M1 ?

19. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

No worries. Stuff gets a little lost in the translation, I agree with you for the most part.. On a side note I tested Resolve today actually and it seems to work pretty well although it was a lightweight session. I'm looking forward to using it on something that pushes its limits.

Same with Logic and Bitwig...I had to download Reaper ARM today to open a project sent to me.. wow!! hasnt that come a long way!!! Prety impressive, especially for the price.

20. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

how do you force it to run under Rosetta ? As fas as I know you can only force teh host to run under rosetta ?