Cpu overload error and playback engine options

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by sham69, Aug 26, 2015.

1. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Hi,

I'm with PT10, MacOSX ML 10.8.5, Mbox3, Imac mid2011 (i5 quadcore @ 2,5 Ghz)

I noticed that even with low cpu usage (10/20 %) I got cpu overload error and sometimes others related to USB too.

The only workaround to avoid these annoying errors is to tick the option in Playback Engine for "host engine" :
    ignore errors while playing or recording. Though I haven't tested yet in an intense session but so far it seems to be working

Anyone having the same kind of issues ?

Of course I tried different settings in the Playbak Engine windows, but in the end none seems to work apart for the one mentionned above.

3. spaddu

spaddu Member

I occasionally get CPU spikes with PT10 on iMac mid 2010 (Both Mavericks and ML). The spikes go away the moment I open Network window in Systems Preferences. Lol.

4. asad12

asad12 Platinum Record

Have you tried trashing PT preferences and Databases? those 2 things cause most of PT errors.
    there are 2 apps that can do that with one click. One is PT Prefs V1.6.4 and the other one is ProTools Pref and Databes Helper.
    You also need to check, if the problem persist, your system might have more than one of these files and those apps can't delete them. You have to delete them manually especially Pro Tools(whatever version you have) Prerences, com.digidesign.ProToolsxxx.plist and com.apple.MIDI.xxx.plist.They are usually in your HD/Library/preferences folder.
    Keep in mind that if your PT is legit, then the above will solve your problem.
    How about having enough ram????

5. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

Thanx guys for your answers,
    though I have not yet tried thoses solutions because I just tried a few mn ago to untick "ignore errors while playing or recording", and there where no errors for now,

will have of course have to try for a longer time,

Maybe it was related to some old version plugin I was using from MCDSP (XVX from 2010) that I got rid of (like Retro Comp Retro Limit & Revolver), I don't know for sure.

6. spaddu

spaddu Member

Using "Ignore errors while playing or recording" is troublesome since the clicks and pops will be printed if you're printing anything (=recording or bouncing to disk)

7. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

I'm aware of that spaddu,
    but so far I didn't heard any clicks & pops with the option ticked, which seems logical as the cpu meters won't go higher than 35 to 45 % for the projects I've been working so far.

I'm a bit tired to track down the reason(s) why I got those errors with the option unticked, I just won't to focus on making music.

8. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Which 10 do you run? I'm on 10.3.9, but it looks like earlier versions like 10.3.7 were more stable..

9. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

10.3.9 too, but I think I had some of those errors with previous PT versions, anyway I don't feel like re-insatlling PT,

though I may try in a few days to use the PT Prefs utility as suggested by asad12.

10. sham69

sham69 Ultrasonic

32 GB should be more than enough for my needs :wink: