CPU audio performance - clock speed vs number of cores

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Zenarcist, Nov 1, 2016.

1. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

As I said, one plugin can utilise just one core, so if a plugin needs more CPU power the only thing that helps is if the plugin itself has multiprocessing, like Kontakt or Diva. Otherwise you get crackling no matter how many cores your CPU has.

2. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

How about switching to another OS also... like W7? It would be lovely to see the comparison in performance between W7 and W10. :wink:
    I will tell you a little secret... W7 works better and more efficient. You would be surprised. XP even more so. :winker:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

this is the nail on the Head buddy ! :wink: i posted a link above to Sonar Platinum with their new plug - in Load Balancing feature similar to that Reaper has been using for a long time ... You can load many plugins on one channel or bus and it will use all cores equally ;) im sure other DAW makers will implement this in the future to stay in the game we hope :)

4. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've got "Use Multiprocessing Engine" checked. Don't see an option for "Plug-In Load Balancing". I know Sonar sees all 4 cores because they are there on the performance monitor. Version is Platinum. I might have to take the plunge and update it to latest version. :suicide:
    I hope this doesn't mess up any existing projects...

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

digitaldragon "plug-in load balancing" was added in september 2016 ;)
    it doesn't mess anything, just make sure to understand what it's supposed to do, in many cases things will get rendered faster with this feature left disabled

6. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

it wont effect anything project wise ;) but yes update to latest ! i own this DAW so i stay up to date but its across the street what you need :wink:

7. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

yes you have the option to turn on and off i only use if needed for spiking on one core to level out the performance :winker:

8. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

My PowerMac 8600 is still standing here (nostalgia <sigh>), and Cubase 3.5 too. I wonder as well :yes:

9. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

this is so true! check your background running services in each XP, Win 7, An Win 10 with each one comes more shit in the background... i have an old AMD with win XP offline an its really stripped down compaired to what we have now

10. digitaldragon

I just remember I had a hell of a time moving from X3 to Platinum. I think it was VST paths that were giving me a fit. Also it was after a hard drive disaster recovery so who knows, this may be easy as pie.
    I know the version I've got is the first version of Platinum that I could get across the street. I think that was definitely before September.

11. digitaldragon

This makes me want to dig the old Compaq out of mothballs and resurrect those tracks I did of AudioSlave's "I Am The Highway" and redo them with what I know now. I tell ya, manually punching in drums for that wasn't easy! :guru:

12. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

just uninstall Sonar wen you get the update from the sister ;) it wont uninstall any of your plugs or move anything folders and such an just install the newest update register an you be good to go :wink:i wanted to add that X3 was a Dif beast, but since the newest Platinum release things are as is its just update and continue on my friend no worries ;)

13. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

We didnt.
    We were cryogenically frozen and jumped from tape to i7 cpus.The late 90s sucked any way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Just yesterday fixed a toshiba laptop 1.5ghz pentium,40gb hdd and installed win xp pro :)
    Good times.Will use it for Hans Zimmer`s piano.
    Wait.....something is cooking,brb.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. digitaldragon

@Jaymz, yeah, I'll be doing a complete backup tonight. Probably due as I've installed a few more plugs after this weekend. :winker:
    I actually OC'd a little last night and it's running smoothly. Off to get Platinum. :metal:

16. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Let us know how it goes.

17. digitaldragon

@Von_Steyr, will do. I'm happy with the way Platinum has been running. Whole lot less crashing than I had in X3. Still get the occasional crash when adding in certain VST's, D361a was one of them which was repeatable. VUMT is another, but sometimes works, sometimes crashes. I read that they've been working on stability, so maybe I'll be able to run that "magic" plugin after I update. :winker:
    I'm primarily after the Plugin Load Balancing option.
    @Zenarcist, this has turned into a really great thread, BTW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Sonar has come along way since the X3 days i did not like it much at all comin from 8.5 to X1,X2,X3 in fact i Hated it! and was one of the owners of this DAW requesting them to change it ;) If loading somthing like Acustica D361a or any heavy cpu plugin always stop playback to load up ;) Acustica has to load programs takes alot of power :wink: can cause crash if not ;)

19. digitaldragon

@Jaymz, it crashed Sonar while Sonar was idle. Doesn't do it in an empty project, though. I'll post up if the update takes care of this or not.

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Id buy Sonar Platinum just so i can look at its beautiful gui :)

Off topic.
    Has any one tried the McDSP 6500 ultimate channel strip?Holy shyte, what a powerful weapon.