CPU at MAX

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Tristan2b, Feb 27, 2023.

1. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Have to tried to reset your bios to factory defaults?
    Try that..

2. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

Thank you very much. I'm crying like "vache qui pisse". If some of your thoughts are corrects, I might go to the doctor to analyse exactly what happened. Is this what you think ?

I can't open a PC with my dirty hands and replace anything inside with no fear.

3. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

Too risky for a little boy like me. I might go to the computer doctor.

4. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Do what he says in this comment: https://linustechtips.com/topic/127...ck-at-078ghz/?do=findComment&comment=14255011

Open ThrottleStop
    Click on the "Limit" button
    In the window that pops up, check if "BD PROCHOT" is red or not
    [​IMG]
    - If it is red, go back to the main window of ThrottleStop and uncheck the box that says "BD PROCHOT" (just beneath "disable turbo"). Try putting some load on your CPU (open up a project with a lot of active plug-ins for example) and see if your CPU goes above 0.78GHz.
    - If it's not red, then your MB sensors are okay and you have a different problem

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

Seems to be the good one. When I disable BD PROCHOT, my cpu jumps to 3,60Ghz !
    Kontakt works around 20/30% CPU with 4 instruments. Wow. You saved a life today ! (you have the right name !)

I have one last question : What happened ? Is it dangerous for my computer ? Do I have to put back the BD PROCHOT each time I don't work hard ?

6. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

What dafuck is BD prochot in this case?

[Edited: Outdated]: So your CPU is stuck at 0.78Ghz only when you use Kontakt? This looks weird indeed

7. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

Its very easy to check the fans. Just open the lid and see if any fans aren't spinning. It will be obvious and you don't need any skills for that.

That would be really cheap to fix, like £10 in the UK for a fan.

Heatsink is pennies to buy, but you need a little confidence to apply it and a YouTube. Everyone can do it with a bit of confidence...

I really don't know if these are the issues, but looking at the specs posted against yours the CPU looks like it suddenly gave up. I can't see any reason for the BIOS to reset itself if things are running well. It could be that it had a temporary error, reduced all the loads to allow for this on something set to 'Auto' and resetting would be fine, but it indicates that the system found a hardware 'fault' of some kind, like everyone has suggested already, overheating etc...

The error could actually be something really simple like having set overclock too high and it just tripped out for the first time. If its set on 'Turbo Boost' in the BIOS that could have tripped, but I don't know much about it, or overclocking really. I've done it not very successfully, but that can cause issues I've heard... I see that your CPU can overclock with Turbo to 4.5 from 3.6, which is a huge jump in power - 25% extra demand above the 'safety' zone, so that could be something that suddenly cracked under pressure... I don't know what the BIOS would do in that situation, but I'm guessing the huge reduction might be exactly that. Its a huge drop though.

Some really great replies in here btw, really great community spirit helping out. Hope you find the answer in the end. Strangely something simple like needing a new fan might be a great outcome

8. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

No no, it's stuck alltime at 0.78ghz

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yep, some legit nice people in this forum.
    And finally fixed the problem. Kudos among others to yourself and @Arabian_jesus in this case.

10. reziduchamp

reziduchamp Platinum Record

Totally agree. Kudos to @Arabian_jesus for the solution. Some great leftfield knowledge there on a strange behaviour... Really happy to hear it was a simple fix and hope it holds out

11. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

I would like to thanks every Jedi who spent some time for reading and giving to me so many good thoughts. I don't believe in god, but Jesus saved me ! I will try to help other people in the same way. Hello from Paris !

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

Resenting your bios to factory defaults is easy as pie.

13. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

I believe you... I'm gonna also try this option. Thanks !

14. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

1. Reset the BIOS/UEFI firmware
    2. Reboot
    3. Install Intel Power Gadget and run it
    4. Run a CPU intesive task (Intel Power gadget can do this as well)
    5. Monitor the CPU's behavior
    6. If it doesn't reach it's max turbo frequency there could be an issue with power or thermals (either not enough power or something is throtteling the CPU.

15. reaktor

reaktor Producer

Hi, have you tried Kontakt 6?

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

how are the temps?

i read when it locks you at lower freq, then the CPU is already cooking?

It is recommended to keep it on as it prevents the CPU from cooking.

17. Tristan2b

Tristan2b Noisemaker

Right. In fact, I really need my full processor only when I work with kontakt. Just have to able or disable the BD PROCHOT in Throttlestop. What do you think about ?

18. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

If you cpu is over heating it's a bad idea. You will fry it. It is better to find out why and fix it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Then you (most likely) have a sensor, or multiple sensors, on your MB that has failed unfortunately. You need to have ThrottleStop running to get your CPU to power above 0.78GHz. I don't know if it can be harmful to your CPU to have it running like this, but I'm sure you can get some answers at the LTT forum or the user forum for your MB developer.

Glad to be of help! Sorry that there's no "easy fix" to your problem tho :sad:

EDIT: You could try resetting BIOS like some others here have proposed. It's always good to try some alternative theories just in case. If nothing works, I'd suggest to look for a fitting model of motherboard on your local second-hand market. If you can find exactly the same model as your current MB, it would be a pretty easy installation/replacement.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  20. panaman

panaman Kapellmeister

why not install cpuid hwmonitor (free), it shows all the information you could want in this case, usage, fans rpm and lots of temperatures.