counter-melody or counterpoint?

Discussion in 'Education' started by pamuma, Nov 26, 2015.

1. pamuma

pamuma Newbie

I have a question, I've been reading about the counter-melodies but i do not have clear that they are at all, are they the same as the counterpoint?

and the other question is, I selected melodies of EDM that I like and would like to know how it has formed the lower melody, are they counter-melodies?

Attached Files:

3. kouros

kouros Platinum Record

I think you shouldn't be worried about the names or the "what comes first" part.

If you have two melodies, it means that one will have to go along with the other. Doesn't matter which one came first.

4. jaganshi

jaganshi Ultrasonic

Counterpoint is to create polyphony, or multiple melodies that work together, and the most usual approach is to have "rhythmic independence" along with different interval contours. It is a method of composition. Counter melody is simply a part of counterpoint, or a result of counterpoint.
    In your examples, although they do have a minor difference in melodic shape, the rhythm of each voice is the same. Thus in comparison with counterpoint, I believe harmony would help a bit more.

5. pamuma

pamuma Newbie

thaks

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Counterpoint is a set of composition rules that need to be studied and mastered.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  7. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

And then broke...

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

This concept has been comprehensively explained in following books:

University Musical Encyclopedia The Theory Of Music And Piano Technique (By E. Markham) (1912)
    The Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory
    Oxford Dictionary Of Music
    Music Theory- University Oregon
    Music Theory Book - David Temperley - The Cognition of Basic Musical Structures

9. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

counter melody is a distinct melodic line that's subordinate to the main melody, counterpoint is more complex as it deals with the contrapuntal style of writing rather than block chords. for example the difference between what a backing singer would do and notes knocked out in the style of a accompanying jazz piano.

10. Rolma

Rolma Guest

Any chance to find working links to a pdf "evaluation copy" ?

Found it !

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2015
  11. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

I like to improvise with something like this, not sure if it is coutnerpoint :) But for example, one instrument goes "upwards" and another "downwards", haha. as you see, I am not so well versed in the theory. Just do what sounds good.