Copyrightproblems with movie quotes (Deeptech)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Philastan, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Philastan

Philastan Newbie

Hey guys,
    i just made a new track and used some quotes from "unforgiven" (1992) by Clint Eastwood.
    After i almost finished, im asking myself if there are any problems, when i try to release it...

soundcloud.com/philippdaub-official/2016-juli-2/s-N7CJ6
    (cant embed because private link)

beside that, id we glad to get some feedback :)

Greetings

Phil

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

5. Philastan

Philastan Newbie

yeah thanks. It automatically inserted a media link, so it showed the soundcloud player, which bugged because it is a private link.

*edit: it seems it only inserts the medialink with a www. in front of it. So fixed :P

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  6. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

What sort of "problems" are you anticipating? You just released it - on Soundcloud.

Do you mean, is it illegal to release it without clearing/licensing the sample? Yes, it is.

7. statik

statik Audiosexual

unless you score a big hit with it and make lots of money nothing will happen, it's not worth th time, effort and costs the copyright holder will have from the lawsuit

8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Off course you're right here. But what will happen? I'm with statik here.

9. Mladbambuk

Mladbambuk Noisemaker

Don't expect to release a track with movie samples on a big label, but noone will touch you, unless you make a big hit.

10. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

On soundcloud I wouldn't expect any hastle soon. If you plan on releasing it through a label though you should do a little research into who actually owns the rights to the quote you are using. I've been using quotes for years on many of my albums and haven't had any trouble, yet.
    :winker: but generaly @static is right. As long as you don't go viral you have nothing to fear from the copyright trolls.

11. C7

C7 Member

If you are feeling paranoid just get some Clint Eastwood impersonator (everyone has an impersonation of him some almost indistinguishable from the actor himself) to read the quotes instead of sampling the audio from the movie.

I think using snippets of text from a screenplay would be protected under fair use, perhaps even the audio dialogue itself would be but I am no lawyer so don't take my word for it. Like others mentioned though no one will probably care and I doubt any scanner by YouTube (or Soundcloud if they have similar copyright protection measures) will pick up a line of dialogue buried in a mix.