Converting .Wav to .nki.

Discussion in 'PC' started by crichton13, Jun 9, 2011.

1. crichton13

crichton13 Newbie

Hi Peoples, I was wondering if any experts out there can advise me as to how to convert WAV files to be used in NI Kontakt (4.2.2).

I used to use Chicken Systems translator but due to having to reformat a drive I lost it, it always worked fine for me using the default settings etc.

On downloading another version via the main AudioZ website, when I make the conversion the resulting patch plays up in the high registers and not where it usually does at middle C (I hope I explained that right!).

Subsequently, all the actual patches loop at a very high speed and are simply unusable ( I can check their 'native' speed simply by playing the WAV back using VLC media Player).

Any advice and/or recommendations for a different conversion App would be most gratefully received!

Many thanks in anticipation,

JC

3. hombrearbol

hombrearbol Newbie

You can drag and drop all the samples in Kontakt to match the register you want:

1. Open Kontakt, and then your instrument.
    2. Click the Edit Mode button (up to the left in the instrument, the tool icon)
    3. Click in "Mapping editor". Now opens a "map" of the keyboard and the samples used on it.
    4. Select all the samples whit the mouse, and drag to the register you want.
    5. Save your instrument.
    6. That's all, good luck!

4. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

that's what i always did... see no problem with that.

5. crichton13

crichton13 Newbie

Many thanks to Hombrearbol and saint for the advice!

6. Sonar_Eclipse

Sonar_Eclipse Newbie

Ok, this is a very good question. But I will take it further.

I have a multi that I want to save in .NCW format to an external hard drive so I can save my template so I don't end up using space I don't need to use. Of course 4.2.2 doesn't allow you to save samples as you would in the AiR 4.1.1 version. Normally, you just go File >> Save Multi As, and then select Samples + Patch and choose compressed. But that can't be done with 4.2.2.

Is there a way to "back up" all your samples in your template without going through the tedious process of editing each individual instrument.

Thanks.

7. mrmuck

mrmuck Newbie

can you explain this in more detail :dunno:

8. samsum

samsum Producer

I know a very, very old thread but I've just discovered a new amazing tool called ConvertWithMoss.
    After trying Chicken Translator, Extreme Sample Converter & CDXTRACT 4 to convert 33GB worth of SW1000XG they all failed, some not being able to read the Kontakt 5 created .nki and the ones that could would get all the key mappings incorrect which were originally sampled in Extreme Sample Converter, that is until I used ConvertWithMoss which also failed to convert .nki (v5) to .nki (v1) and also got the key mappings incorrect until the creator of the software mentioned .WAV keymapping in the comments on YouTube so I got rid of all the .nki and just had the sample folders with .WAV files in and chose .WAV as the source and created all 33GB into .nki from all the .WAV files (don't ask). The guy Jürgen Moßgraber who created the super speedy tool (and it is) very, very fast is looking into the keymapping issue when going from .nki (v5 v6 v7) to (v1) and have sent him some of the ones that failed but if you set .WAV as (Source) it did work for me and was then able to convert them all into .sf2 in Extreme Sample Converter succussfully and all keymapped correctly.
    You can find him on KVR Audio named 'moss' or his YouTube video is here with the links to his [Free] software :wink:
    ConvertWithMoss 1.0 - New tool to convert WAV, Bitwig Multisample, SFZ, and SoundFont

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  9. samsum

samsum Producer

Jürgen within a day has fixed the keymapping issue with ConvertWithMoss converting newer .nki (v5+ 6 & 7) to .nki (v1) and I've just tested it out with (v5) .nki and all the keymappings now work correctly which yesterday sounded terrible in version 7.2.0. The new version is 7.2.1 released today on his website under the YouTube video I posted above.

Changes 7.2.1
    • DecentSampler - Writing – Fixed: Tuning was not set correctly
    • Kontakt - Reading – New: Support for Kontakt 7.6.
    – Fixed: Kontakt 5-7: Sample zones from monolith files did miss all settings.
    – Fixed: Kontakt 5-7: Pitch was not handled correctly.

convert with moss.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023