Converting Cubase.CPR to FL / Bitwig / Ableton ( looking for a( ny ) method )

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Zealious, May 14, 2022.

1. Zealious

Zealious Kapellmeister

Hope your day is going Great,

Could someone with coding knowledge take a look at the Cubase CPR - file code, and tell me if ( or how ) it would be possible to Convert them to other DAW's ?

I tried looking at it myself, but found little sense in the files.

3. demberto

demberto Rock Star

Not possible, although you can convert FL <-> Ableton project files with Jukeblocks.

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  4. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

OMF is the closest you can get with exchanging projects between DAWs

5. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

I have heard that AAA Translator can work wonders...

6. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

upload_2022-5-14_22-42-19.png

There are several ways depending on what your project contains:

AAF (Advanced authoring format) - This allows you to exchange all multimedia information and metadata between programs that support it.
    OMF (Open Media Format) - It contains or references all audio files that are played in the project, including fade and edit files - BUT - it does not necessarily contain metadata or broadcast data or MusicXML.
    MusicXML - If your recording contains mostly MIDI this is a decent export tool in all modern DAW's and will even import into many scoring applications effectively (you will have to edit in places though).

MOST RELIABLE?
    Export stems in wav file format - You can select individually and bulk dump the stems. If you also have MIDI files, do this with a MusicXML, or manually export the MIDI files. The results that way I have found import into Logic, ProTools, Reaper, Studio One and Ableton pretty well. Just be crystal clear to whomever you send it to that the beginning of the audio file is the start marker(s)
    (ensure that); and also send them the bpm if not encoded into the audio. AGREE on an exported sample format e.g. 24bit 48Khz.
    OMF if you want layouts, faders etc etc.. in audio only.
    It is not too different in any other DAW for cross compatibility.

HOWEVER

Here is a forum post on XML exporting from Cubase to Studio One. I can confirm that it works well importing into Studio One. 5.5. Reference in the below choice means it is still pointing to Cubase file locations so "Copy" - It doesn't tell you that you still have to export audio though.
    https://answers.presonus.com/16748/how-do-i-import-a-cubase-project-into-studio-one-3

Last edited: May 14, 2022