Convert mixed drum track to MIDI

Discussion in 'Software' started by instantkarma, Jan 3, 2017.

1. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

Hey guys! :winker:

I wonder if there is a good way to convert a mixed drumkit track (not seperated mics aka multitrack any more) to MIDI. I just came across the Addictive Trigger by XLN on the sister site but installation didn't work correctly on my rig so haven't tried it yet. And it seems to only work well with seperated tracks judging from the promo videos. Is there an app that can do it? Or do I have to first process it manually to seperate all the elements? Could anyone give me a hint how I could do that if it's possible?

Thanks! :mates:

3. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Accusonus Regroover can split a mixed track into separate audio elements. Then you just need to convert the audio to MIDI.
    Melodyne can do this part.
    Dropping an audio clip into a MIDI track in Ableton Live will allow you to convert audio to MIDI. It even allows you to specify what kind: Harmony, Melody or Drums for better detection. Splitting into separate elements with Regroover first gives even better results.

Note - Make sure you have some kind of MIDI VST on the MIDI track in Live before dropping an audio file or it simply changes the MIDI track to an Audio track.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

You can probably achieve that with melodyne. Put it ont the track where you have your audio, transfer the audio (using the percussive algo for detection) than convert to midi. The result depends on your material though

My man @Pinkman, always here to help...:wink:. Our answers crossed each other, yours is more complete.

5. G String

G String Rock Star

Some simple eq could separate it a bit?

Does Melodyne get results with drums?

That Addictive Trigger sounds great. But does it work?

I suspect it works great on stuff any half decent drum programmer could work out themselves, but is useless on what most people (?) would actually want it to do (take full drum tracks off recordings).

Presumably Trigger is a fancy "slicer", cutting up beats and replacing them from a library. SliceX in FL can do the same, but you have to find your own drum sample to replace the one in the source material. Spectrasonics Stylus is similar in principle, but works off libraries (though you can add your own). As are "recycle" format drum loops. You can change them to midi (where each ascending midi note triggers the next "slice" in the drum loop/sample). You can change the "groove" of a drum loop that way.

So, I would suggest you get the program that lets you turn drum loops (or anything else) into .rx files......recycle?
    https://www.propellerheads.se/recycle -

And put your drum loops in Stylus.

Or just get an auto-slicer and re-arrange to taste.

But, these don't give you a regular midi drum track. They just break a sample (say a drumloop) into several smaller bits and generate a midi track that will play them back in the right order and timing (which you can mess around with completely, as with normal midi).

It's a powerful way to treat drumloops. I'm a useless drum programmer but I get relatively excellent results with this "slicing" method and MIDI triggers. It's super easy to mess with once you get the gist.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

This^^ ...and all the other stuff @Pinkman wrote :wink:

7. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

Thanks guys! Will have a look into Regroover first. :wink:

8. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

Just experimented with Regroover. Though the extracted hi-hat layers sound very unnatural it may be good enough for my use. Not a Live user so I will take the tracks into Melodyne or try again with installing Addictive Trigger later. Thanks again @Pinkman for the tips! :wink:

@G String Yes Melodyne has a "Percussive" mode. What I was fearing was that a lot of overlapping hits are gonna gone missing. It seems that Regroover does a much better job at these. And saved a lot of work identifying the hit types! :winker:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  9. Cudo

Cudo Kapellmeister

Accusonus Drumatom, really good at removing bleed from iniviual tracks, never tried on a drum mix but it may be worth a try.

10. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

@ instantkarma

If you know anyone that uses Cubase ask them to convert a mixed drumkit track to MIDI it's dead easy.
    I'm sure a member on here will help you.

Good luck :wink:

11. G String

G String Rock Star

Yeah, looks damn good. It's a slicer that (tries?) to separate out each hit type? IMO it's just a GUI for slicing. But I'm just a GUI for slicing food into brown goo, so I won't knock fancy GUIs. :D
    Really? That'd be quite amazing. I'm skeptical it can be done, but I'd love to have it. Where? How? Who? What?

12. instantkarma

instantkarma Noisemaker

Yes, it automatically slices mixed drums, not just a fansy GUI. I'd say it's pretty accurate for seperating kicks and snares, but doesn't do the job as good for other long sustaining hits. I think the catch is my testing tracks are always already compressed, while Regroover always tries to slice the tracks the way that the sliced pieces add up to the original.

Also the sound quality of the results... I won't say it's useful for me! :unsure: Thankfully I only use the results to retrigger MIDI drums. I think Regroover should really reconsider their algorithms, it's OK not to add up to the original track... The goal is to slice the original...