Control DAW with Touchscreen

Discussion in 'DAW' started by jack, Apr 26, 2012.

1. jack

jack Newbie

Hello,

could you please tell me:

1.) Does every / which DAW features touchscreen control?
    2.) Which OS do i need for that?
    3.) And how about an iphone / ipad as a controller - does it work (easily)? X.) Which DAW offers a way to sketch some ideas on your i*** and import into a - let say - extended DAW? Yes i know you can do that with a mac.

I realy want to try that extended* touchpad.

* > up to i7, "only" 1080 Display (hope the offer a second version with higher resolution) - seems the contrast is not bad. Oh and please let it be an error (on the website) that you could only use up to 8 gb of RAM!? *no*

Thanks in advance.

Greets,
    Jack

3. Bluespiral23

Bluespiral23 ex.mod

Man ...look here....wake up!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.smithsonmartin.com/

The future is now....!!!!! :phones:

Where do you live? :rofl:

4. DJ_Digital

DJ_Digital Newbie

yeah Emulator is the thing, runs on traktor

tried it myself and wow

5. Bluespiral23

Bluespiral23 ex.mod

Not only traktor....look here!!! :wink:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2012/02/03/smithson-martin-emulator-modular/

[​IMG]

6. tracer

tracer Member

think this "the future is now thing" is evident and more impressive if some see it in action...:

but really ? the emulator soft seems to be top today but the projected gui have a 7ms latenz (dont have the english word for that), well 7 ms is not really slow but it seems that all together lagged a bit, so i think that you are not be able to do "fast mix'n'scratch actions" (in a way like "bad boy bill" or "krafty cuts" it makes) - maybe, it's just a sexy looking toy for rich kids that mix "minimal techno" (like "magda", "eulberg") today and the future is tomorrow...

7. jack

jack Newbie

I never sleep.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not searching for a (touchscreen) controller - my synthopia bookmark is not that fresh - and don't want to talk about touchscreens or hardware controllers itself. I already use and have sympathie with touchscreen but it is iOS and not windows and i want to use a full DAW like Cubase or Studio one and not a midi app.

I'm not sure if windows itself and which full DAW will support (out of the box) touchscreen controlling!? And how about those VSTi for example and so on. Got me now?
    Oh and yes maybe integration from iOS to windows would be a nice theme. Take fruity loops for example, you get the main app for PC and small down version for iOS - so it seems the have these / some integration. And sure you could use the mobile fruity loops with touchscreen but whats with the fruity loops on your PC? Is it touch screen ready? :bow:

Greets,
    Jack

8. HebrewInTheRain

HebrewInTheRain Noisemaker

Lol! I have two of these. HUGE TIP!!!! They can lag our during a performance! Happened to me 4 times and made me look like a loser. If your willing to shell out the money to get one. DON'T!

9. jack

jack Newbie

Havn't wrote anything about live performance.

10. Bluespiral23

Bluespiral23 ex.mod

I was joking :mates:

Take a look here to control what you want:
    Kontrol Surface 1974

[​IMG]

With Emulator Modular you can build your customized multi-touch interface in just minutes. Imagine a custom layout for Traktor, Ableton, Virtual DJ, Mixvibes, Torq, Deckadance, Arkaos, Resolume, and any other MIDI based software. You can share your creations with Emulator community, benefit from the experience and collaboration of other users from our forum. Sharing templates is easy and free, with Emulator Modular, the game has officially changed.

KS-1974 is manufactured with a highly accurate and extremely responsive 4 touch sensor, running at ultra low latency (less 4ms) and completely compatible with Windows 7 & 8 and OSX.

http://www.smithsonmartin.com/software/

http://www.smithsonmartin.com/kontrol-surface-ks-1974/

http://www.djdeals.com/smithsonmartinKS1974.htm :wink:

11. jack

jack Newbie

No problem. :mates:

Yes the look good but are too expensive. I still don't now if our OS and or DAW already support (multi-)touch. Not sure i you have checked my link you know it's not just a control it is a desktop CPU. I hope the will sell enough to go a step further. More CPU and RAM Power oh and optional a better (or better said with higher resolution) display. But you can get the ipad (which is still cheaper and could do some more then just being a controller) and remote your desktop.

Greets,
    Jack

12. nubuub

nubuub Newbie

couldn't you just buy a usb touchscreen film and install it on any lcd?

13. zalbadar

zalbadar Ultrasonic

Thats kind of what I was thinking.

Why are we looking an the exspensive, dedicated models, when you could just get a normal touch screen that lets you use your finger to move the mouse, click and stuff?
    Ok you'd have to double tap the screen before moveing a volume slider but essentially it'd work the same.

14. jack

jack Newbie

:grooves:

Thanks for feedback. My main question is still open.
    Are desktop OS like WIN7, (full) DAW like Studio One and VSTi controlable via touchscreen (out of the box)!?

Greets,
    Jack