Connecting online for music collaborations - which software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dfox2, Apr 9, 2020.

1. dfox2

dfox2 Noisemaker

Which software allows to connect with someone online and stream the output of the DAW (Logic, Live, etc.)?

Skype allows to share screen but I would like to be able to stream what I hear in Logic so the other person hears that in very good quality too?

I found something about 'source elements' that seems to be free (though I am confused about how it works) - is there any other free software that allows to do that? How do you work online with other people?

:dunno:

3. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Maybe try Ninjam in Reaper? Never tried it and it's made for musicians to play together but it might be used for what you want.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Like he said. Haven't tried it but it's the only software of this kind I've heard of.
    DAW level and trustworthy, developed by nothing less than Reaper's developer.
    Can't be bad.
    But these are almost uncharted waters, so dig more for experienced opinions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

dfox2 are you on Win or Mac?

6. dfox2

dfox2 Noisemaker

Hi and thanks for the suggestions - I am on Mac and want to use Logic Pro X.

Is there any free soft (or website) out there that allows to route the output of the DAW (Logic Pro) so it streams to the person in the other side of the connection?

Thanks

7. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

There are some interesting suggestions on this forum. It's not all about Skype. If wanted to do that I would first try Zoom, but read that forum thread first.

Someone on that thread posts a YT video with a demonstration of a good-looking app for live high quality collabs from the DAW called Audiomovers, there are more suggestions in the chat below the video so have a look at those too:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  8. TaxiDriver

TaxiDriver Platinum Record

Not a Mac user (stating it proud an loud, LOL..;), but some things should (in theory) be even easier to setup on that ..thing

The main problem with Skype and similar is - there is only one input, usually for your mic. The second problem is, you want to send a bunch of things to your "only" input. The third problem is you want to send an output to an input. (your playback to your "mic" in)

IMO there are two solutions.

- if you have an audio interface like the RME, e.g. Babyface pro, you're done. Because every output can be routed to any input (among other things Baby does..), you can collect all the things that you hear and send them internally to ONE input. It is a so called "Loopback" function. Choose this input in your communication SW and you're good to go.

- if your souncard doesn't support this you can achieve the same with software. Google for Virtual Audio Cable, Loopback (I think Rogue Amoeba rogueamoeba.com/loopback/ does this, but it is better that a Mac guy gives you advice, which one is the best..). A VAC is like a "node" - you send audio to that one and you choose it as an input in comm SW.

Two recent threads on AS about this subject:
    http://audiosex.pro/threads/using-logic-in-an-online-zoom-meeting.52866/
    http://audiosex.pro/threads/stereo-videochat-service.52799/#post-464760

Did not read them but maybe there is something useful.
    Good luck! :wink:

9. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. obi-juan

obi-juan Member

I've recently done this with a friend just a while back. I'm on windows though but I would gladly share how I routed my inputs and outputs, and which apps I used. I hope that my humble experience can help you out in anyway possible.

First off, I just want to say that I used Ableton Live and streamed it via Discord.

I've only tested three VoIPs so far: Skype, Zoom, and Discord that are all free. I've found (in my experience) that Discord seems to have the better quality in terms of how my friend was able to hear it from their end (audio quality of my stream). It seems that it would be difficult to have a pristine quality in terms of playback if you plan to collaborate and stream your DAW's output via screenshare. Probably because of compression by the VoIP (not sure about this but this is my guess). But if you want a "live" session with your co-collaborator over VoIP which allows you to use your DAW and communicate all at the same time, then streaming over VoIP is what I found the quickest and most convenient way to do that. Playback quality isn't all that bad.

That being said, let me share the program I used to route my inputs and outputs. I used Voicemeeter Potato (free!) as a virtual mixer in order to route everything. It's used a lot by streamers. Since you're on Mac, I think the following will do serve the same purpose as a virtual mixer: Loopback, Audio Hijack, and Soundflower. As for Soundflower, I'm not entirely sure if it's still free. Basically, you'll want a virtual mixer available for Mac.

Next, the way I chose to route my ins and outs was to make it as simple as possible for Discord to detect. Basically, I went ahead and routed my mic, guitar, and DAW's output into the virtual mixer (Voicemeeter) and sent them all into the input of Discord via as an aux from the virtual mixer. This way, Discord can pick up all the sound coming from the aux channel of the virtual mixer. Then I have Discord's output routed into "default device", which is the virtual mixer (that has my main output routed into my audio interface and my monitor speakers).

Now for my DAW (and I believe it'll work the same to every other DAW in the market), I used Voicemeeter's "Voicemeeter Aux Virtual ASIO" as my driver. This way, Ableton Live will recognize the input coming from the virtual mixer and route its (the DAW) output to the same virtual mixer thru its aux channel. Anytime I can just create two audio tracks within Ableton Live and route my mic and guitar there, which allows me to process my guitar on the fly as well.

After being able to map out my routings, I then went into my OS' (Win7) sound properties and set Voicemeeter as my default for both playback and recording. I then opened the Voicemeeter program, my DAW, and then Discord in this order. I then proceed to test my inputs and outputs thru Discord's option to test the mic input and playback. Next, I just simply call my friend thru Discord and enable the screenshare option and select my main screen where I have my DAW. Discord has an option to live stream (aside from screensharing and allows more viewers to see your DAW stream). However in my experience, this feature is only supported for users on Win10 only.

This does come with a few pros and cons. With this method, I was able to show my co-collaborator in real time the changes I've made while mixing our project, and at the same time being able to discuss things all throughout. Hence, I only see the purpose of this method as a means to show your co-collaborator what you're doing in the project visually. However, if audio quality is not the utmost importance, this method can also be used to be able to quickly make a draft of a song. In my humble experience, it was pretty convenient for both of us to share ideas without needing to physically be in the same studio (due to irl commitments and hectic schedules). Do note that I have not tried "jamming" with my friend thru this method (since both collaborators can use the same setup to be able to share both of their DAW's output via a VoIP app). There are a few factors to consider for a live jam thru streaming, the latency of each person's rig and the stability and capacity of their internet bandwidth. I believe that if one person has a lackluster internet bandwidth, there will be issues such stuttering and audio dropouts that are common to streaming over the internet. Moving on, if audio quality is of the utmost importance between the collaborators, then this method is (admittedly) not the best and you're better off just sending your mixes the "traditional" way.

There is also an alternative where audio quality may be a lot better (i say "may" because I haven't personally tried it yet) than doing it thru a VoIP app, such as Discord. Similar to this method, you can stream your DAW's output through streaming platforms like Twitch and/or YouTube. You can use a broadcasting app, such as OBS, instead. In sum, you can route your mic, guitar, DAW, and VoIP (so you can talk to each other) into the virtual mixer and have the broadcasting app (like OBS as mentioned) to receive them (via the virtual mixer's aux) and stream over the web. If you plan on streaming it via Twitch, afaik I don't think there's a way to broadcast your stream privately. However, YouTube does have a way to broadcast streams privately (a quick Google search will do the trick). Streaming it live or not, I think this method is similar to how some (or maybe just a few) YouTube creators upload their DAW tutorials. If not, then maybe try looking at Voxengo Recorder (which is also free but only in 32bit iirc) that can be another option for you to route things and be able to stream your DAW's output.

For what it's worth, I hope that this helps! Good luck and to everyone always stay safe! Cheers! :cheers:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. acatnamedharmony

acatnamedharmony Ultrasonic

Ableton Link works pretty solid It's fairly easy to setup but doesn't send any audio information. That being said it would probably be pretty easy to route audio into Live from something else I'd imagine but then I'd wonder what latency looks like.

12. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I didn't see Odeus Asio Link Pro in the list, that has huge network capabilities (16 in and 16 out if I'm not wrong).

Voicemeeter + VB Audio Cable have too network capabilities, but I can say that Asio Link Pro is much more flexible as ASIO router and (much) smaller latency campared to Voicemeeter (in the box).

Not sure about the third problem, but with OALP, it shouldn't be necessary.
    You can share the mic with multiple ASIO or not ASIO apps, so for example Skype AND Reaper or Live (OALP is multiclient - a config for system, a different config for Reaper, a different config for Live and so on), then send over network DAW audio, at the same quality, plus, IF necessary, Skype audio in a separate channel.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  13. recycle

recycle Guest

14. scrappy

scrappy Platinum Record

bowels of the skullery at the court of king boris
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Now that you mention it, I've seen it used by many good music YT channels. A pity the OP is on MAc.

16. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I guess you guessed by Logic, didn't you? I realized right now.
    So I think that a lot of words were wasted.

17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

:rofl:. Well, I'm on PC so I don't use Logic...:hahaha: <- worst joke of the month
    Actually, I saw it explicitly in very brief (non-edited live YT videos) moments when they switch applications.
    Only a couple of times. So saying "many" was an overstatement of mine.

18. obi-juan

obi-juan Member

I did address the fact that OP was on Mac and that there are alternatives to Voicemeeter for their OS, which is to basically find a virtual mixer for their system. The extensive description was meant to (hopefully) give the OP an idea of how routing would work by using a virtual mixer and VoIP, despite being on different OS and DAWs. Cheers!

19. scarsstiches

scarsstiches Producer

https://jamtaba-music-web-site.appspot.com

It hosts all your plugins and lets you jam on NINJAM servers with other players around the world. It's very well done and stable and i've been using it for a week.

You can host it in Logic but i don't see the point hence it works perfectly well as standalone.

20. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual