connecting an electric guitar direct to BT portable speaker

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by mm5, Jun 10, 2019.

1. mm5

mm5 Member

I connect an electric guitar to portable BT speaker ( Bose Soundlink II, Beat Pill or JBL)
    To connect I use a direct cable with a 3.5mm jack on one side (stereo to the speaker ) and a mono 1/4 jack to the guitar ( the left and right soldered together to the mono jack).
    It is working great.
    the question is, will it damage the speakers?
    should I use a pedal effect or one of those small headphones Amps like VOX offers to control the harsh peaks of the guitar attacks?

3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

You won't damage the speaker, as guitar signal is originally weak. If you add a pre-amp then you may damage the speaker.
    Obviously, if you push the speaker volume to the max all the time, you may end up damaging it, but this has nothing to do with the fact that you use it with a guitar, it would be the same with any sound source.

4. mm5

mm5 Member

thank you.
    it calms my mind

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Btw: if you control it's output, you can use one of these small amp sim, from vox or mooer.
    Or better , a multieffect pédal.
    It all depends on what's your goal.

Which speaker are you using exactly?

6. mm5

mm5 Member

I have the Bose Soundlink II and the Beat Pill. The bose sound great but is more expensive so, will be a shame to damage it.
    It was a concern due to the attacks peaks of the guitar but you said that "guitar signal is originally weak" so nothing to worry about for the input.
    So for traveling purpose, I can carry the small speaker and not need to invest in something appropriate (as a small guitar amp or small amp sim
    even though it may be better).
    Connecting the guitar via distortion or looper (or any effect) will still be ok for the speaker?

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Bose is an excellent brand and will not be easy to damage.
    A looper is not dangerous for your speakers, but distortion could be , so you have to be careful of it's output level.

May I ask what are you using all this for?

Portability seems to be important for you, and if you are not an antidigital guitarist, you could use a very small multieffect pedal like zoom ms50g which is cheap but offer several effects at the same time. Including compressor, so you could limit the output with it.

8. mm5

mm5 Member

yes, portability is important to me as I travel between some places. Two of them having heavier amps, not at all portable and guitars. Till now I used to take my acoustic guitar which is an excellent time for different practice, yet this time I feel for the electric one. The speaker comes along anyway for music, so if it can serve as a mini amp it opens new possibilities. I do have Zoom 505II multi-effect which I take with me. And as you mention the compressor and the limiter in it I feel on the safer side. It is a great point I didn't think of, thanks a lot.

and thanks for the time and will to answer me

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

You're welcome.