Connect Usb-Interface LineOut to Guitar-Amplifier?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by revoloidua, Mar 19, 2019.

1. revoloidua

revoloidua Newbie

Hello boys and girls,

i want to connect my Usb-Interface(Behringer UMC404HD) to my Katana-100 Guitar Amplifier to use software-guitarpedals and send them to the amplifier. The Problem for me is the connection to the amp.
    Everything else is fine i think.
    So theres a lot of stuff circulating in the web but mostly its about reamping.
    Its clear for me that i cannot connect the line-out of the interface to the instrument-in of the amplifier without some sort of impedance adjustment like a reamping box or a reversed Di-Box :no:

Somebody can give some tips/tricks whats the best way to connect the amp to the interface? :dunno:
    The Katana 100 has a lot of connections that are maybe suitable... https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-100/
    Thanks for help

3. The Koala

The Koala Ultrasonic

Have you tried connected it and lowering the volume of your interface ? Should sound fine, really

4. revoloidua

revoloidua Newbie

No never
    No never tried this because theres a mismatch of the impedance and this will cut high fvequencys int the signal and destroy the tone in general.
    This is right isnt it?

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Pre amp out of your amp (if it has a pre-amp out)to an input channel with audio signal cable. Process that signal. Then take a line out or main out and return that to your guitar amp(also signal cable)
    . Or simply plug your guitar into your interface. Process. Line or main out to the guitar amp input. You will want to keep latency as low as possible. OK. I looked at your amp.It has just about every guitar effect and connections that are available. Use the amp USB out to a usb on your computer. Assign that USB input to a channel in your interface.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Strange that the amp has -10dBu input. Shouldn't it be -20dBu? -10dBu is line level, but the impedance is higher than a normal line level input. I'd definitely use some of the nice reamp pedals anyway to keep the audio pristine sounding. Like Radial, or Palmer. Sound advice from @rhythmatist. USB should be usable, but I would worry about the quality of its AD/DA converters. They don't say anything about the AD/DA quality. That's usually not good. Try and see if it sounds good. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. evolasme

evolasme Producer

so basically what you want to do is use your GTR interface to access soft GTR effects in your computer and have it play out of your AMP?

1 your BOSS Katana-100 Guitar Amplifier is a nice little amp and has BOSS Effects built in why would you want to use soft TR FX is beyond me but OK.

2. Truth be told that Behringer interface is kinda Pile of Poo IMHO bad drivers, Bad AD/DA converters, bad inputs, bad design. and not in the MJ I'm Bad type of Bad.

ok so you're really trying to put a round peg in a square hole with this but here we go.....

After reading both manuals ( your Welcome) seems both units come with. effects loops so there is your analog interface.

loop to your interface, set your amp up so its a clean neutral tone so all effects are coming from your comp. here is the best part you plug your guitar into your amp just watch the input levels on whatever soft fx you're using so you don't overdrive the effects if you're not using amp modeling in your comp then you can shape the tone with the amp.

Hope that helps

EZ

Evol and out ;)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. revoloidua

revoloidua Newbie

First thanks for the answer :) Yes maybe the quality of the AD/DA Converters are bad but i think you cannot bypass the conversion to digital an back to analog when using a Boss Katana... So this Problem (if its a problem) is always existing.

9. revoloidua

revoloidua Newbie

Thanks for the Answer :)
    Yes thats basically what i want to do.
    1) it seems strange but i want to understand the stuff better and like to experiment with different plugins :)
    2) Do you tried one?`Cannot say its that bad. Latency is even ok for playing Edrums over Midi. Beacause i have no real reference i also will not judge the converters. But maybe they are bad :dunno:
    I think i will try it with the send/return connection on the Katana. (as soon as i have time).
    If somebody is interested in sounddemos etc. i can upload some stuff as well.

10. The Koala

The Koala Ultrasonic

A missmatch in impedance only cuts the high frequencies when the output impedance of your generator is not 10 times less than the input impedance of the following circuit. That why the high 20k impedance of a guitare shouldn't be connected to the 1k impedance of a microphone, or even the 10k impedance of a line input. However, line output usually are around 1k, so there should be no problem to connect this to the 1M impedance of a gutiar amplifier.

11. ampworks

ampworks Producer

I have done this only last week, I used an external mini mixer Behringer Eurorack 802 and sent to amp Laney VC30 (valve), i was using Helix software for pedals and preamp, i did try cabs, but i needed to Eq the signal in to the amp to get it to sound good. There is a bit of noise or hum from the internal powersupply i think ether the PC or Mixer, it worked pretty well, but i think a dedicated multi Fx would be cleaner and more silent.

12. evolasme

evolasme Producer

for best sound results and minimal tweakin of knobs go the FX loop route. it essentially puts the fx in your comp in the effects chain in yout amp. only need to patch/ instrument cables

13. evolasme

evolasme Producer

as far as fx plugins i really. like Bias FX stuff and brainwerx rock rack

14. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Do I understand it wrong? Like you can't mic the amp and record it through your audio interface? It could be that I forgot something, and I don't have enough time to read the whole thread, sorry. :(

As far as plugin FX go, I like to use them for sketching and jamming. But it's hard to know if people will notice any difference, of course. They are not able to tell the difference from a real home pizza to a pizza hut pizza, so... :wink:

I think Ignite-Amps and Kuassa pedals are nice for sketching.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  15. ivra livra

ivra livra Newbie

It essentially puts the fx in your comp in the effects chain in yout amp.

16. El digital

El digital Ultrasonic

Ideally you should use a reamp box. I use Radial boxes, it works perfect!
    https://www.radialeng.com/product_category/reamp