Connect 2 instruments to a single sound card input

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by nico2b, Mar 14, 2019.

1. nico2b

nico2b Newbie

Hello everyone !

I have a RME Fireface UC (2 MIC inputs, 2 INSTR inputs), the 2 microphones are used, the instrument input 1 takes an acoustic guitar and I want to know if the input instrument 2 can take an electric guitar and a bass at the same time.

I go through Ableton Live and has a midi pedal footswitch FCB1010, so I can easily program a button to activate the electric guitar track when the bass is not active, and the opposite.

The instruments must absolutely stay connected because I am alone to manage guitar ac / elec bass keyboard and drum machine all via loops so no time to plugin/out.

Can a pedal like this https://www.thomann.de/fr/lead_foot_aby.htm do the trick, always leaving it on Y and using my midi pedal to turn on / off the tracks?

Thank you for your help.

3. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

You just need this:
    https://electronics.stackexchange.c...vely-mixing-two-or-perhaps-more-audio-signals

Edit: Ok I thought you wanted to mix line levels, then you could have gone with that totally simple circuit with only two 4.7k resistors.
    I guess that doesnt work with high-z sources? Or does it? Anyone more into circuits than me?

But that little foot switch should do the trick as you described it.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. Olymoon

Olymoon MODERATOR Staff Member

Yes, the lead foot aby should do the trick.
    You will have to adapt output levels to the instrument input capacity, but it should work.

5. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

You have 8 analog in. Not just 4.
    Edit: Nevermind. Missunderstood you. Move along.