Concert Ukulele Advice

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by mnpalmer, Aug 18, 2022.

1. mnpalmer

mnpalmer Newbie

Hi
    I am looking to buy a concert ukulele and have been looking around at different makes etc. to try and find what is good and what to avoid as this will be my first ukulele.
    I recently found a Huawind Concert ukulele but have not heard of this make before. I have tried searching out info on this ukulele on the internet but have not been able to find out much at all.
    About all I know is, it has worm drive tuning pegs and it is mahogany. If anyone else could tell me anything more about it and if it is a good make to buy or not and where it is made, I would be very grateful
    Thanks!

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hua-Wind
    https://hua-wind.com

Contact Us
    Email:[email protected]
    We aim to return emails within 24 hours.
    Commercial Plaza Office Commercial Building 3-1802 economic development Zone Xuzhou, Jiangsu, China

4. jxilliam4

jxilliam4 Newbie

My concert model was a surprise as I was prepared to spend much more, but then decided I really liked this what Lohanu was doing with their new mode.
    I don't know enough about them to recommend regular or concert sized or much else about different styles but I can tell you from a guitar player's perspective who owns some darned nice axes that the Lanikai is a decent playable instrument and I like mine very much.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Lanikai is what I have too. It's decent for the $100 I paid used for it. If you have the cash, Martin makes a sweet mahogany uke.

Edit 8 hours later after realizing I hadn't even posted the first part...
    I made a quick 1:12 recording of my Lanikai spruce/maple for you to listen to but need to post it here in the morning.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

7. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Off topic slightly - last year I purchased a right handed Yamaha GL1 guitalele and converted it to left-handed. It was very easy because the nut wasn't fixed and was cut in such a way that I just needed to turn it around. I still have the cheap strings on it because I haven't yet gotten into playing it to a high enough standard to demand better strings - but it sounds good anyway for now. I also added an under-saddle pickup* and although it's tricky to play without microphonic noise from the cable my solution was simply to use my Line 6 Relay G10 with an angled mini to standard jack adapter and a short extension to move the G10 to the back of the body out of the way (the adapter is attached to the guitalele with a lump of blu tack and it works perfectly well. The received signal is plugged into my Yamaha THR10 and it sounds wonderful with a touch of reverb.

*The pickup - https://www.amazon.co.uk/KNA-Pickups-UK-1-Ukulele-Pickup/dp/B0061ZUKWG

The only problem I have to overcome is how to add dots to the side of the neck, any suggestions?

Mine with pickup_smaller_cropped.jpg

8. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@Crinklebumps

While using a drill with a small drill bit, drill in holes the correct size for the point of a colored pencil to be broken off in order to gently sand the point flat to the side of the neck. You could choose the color or colors of your choice. You could also use a toothpick(s).

9. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Thanks for this, it sounds like the perfect way. I've just looked at the two fret markers on the side and they aren't actually level with one another, I wasn't expecting that from Yamaha. My only problem is that I don't have tools - I have a drill but no way of clamping the guitar in place, it would need to be a very slow, delicate operation.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
  10. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I guess a very inexpensive Yamaha just doesn't get the love when it lands at quality control before it makes it into it's shipping container as does a more expensive instrument.

I don't have a clamp that I could lend you, but if there's a will there's a way to bind it in place in order to work on it...but it's always a good idea to first come up with a safe word especially if it is your first time in such an endeavor.

[​IMG]