Computex 2017: Intel Core i9

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by thantrax, Jun 6, 2017.

1. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

Computex 2017: Intel Core i9

[​IMG]
    Over at Computex a lot of Intel partners have been showing the new Skylake-X. We have spoken to many board partners and have asked them a thing or two related towards normal overclocking, and the test samples they have at hand.

So, what we learned is that Intel will be releasing just the Skylake-X processors with up-to ten cores in a week or two. All motherboard partners had the 10-core SKU which would be the Core i9 7900X that will be priced at 999 USD.

None, and I do repeat this none of the partners have had their hands on, or even seen the 12, 14, 16 or that 18-core part. So that does raise some questions as earlier on we have already stated that Intel is rushing things as an answer towards AMD’s upcoming Threadripper processor series. So on that note, we can confirm that X299 and the respective processors will launch with up-to 10-core processors in the Skylake-X processor series.

[​IMG]

More info here

Source
    guru3d.com

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  3. ia

ia Producer

very expensive for me

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Can it handle 2 instances of Omnisphere 2?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. jeremingway

jeremingway Noisemaker

890$ for Ryzen 9 Threadripper 16/32 at 3.2/3.6GHz
    1000$ for Ryzen 9 Threadripper 16/32 at 3.5/3.9GHz
    If all work on that it's will be fabulous
    [​IMG]

6. dondada

dondada Rock Star

not only expensive but also with a bad tasting sprinkle of vaporware (funktions will only be avialable
    "later" or with extra to pay gear LIKE DONGLES!!)
    or maybe just anoying as its not really consumer friendly but rather a half assed attempt at retaining market.

not a fan of rants but the info in between is valid!

7. ia

ia Producer

how this cpus compared to DSP like kyma or UAD?
    And why you guys still believe in this old cpus, but not in the quantum computers (what is the future)?
    Quantum cpu get rekt normal cpu, gpu, dsp, fpga. So I don't see any reason to support normal cpus anymore and all this specific purpose shit for something special and very expensive. Look at the new world - quantum cpu in every home

8. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

You talk non-sense, there is no "supporting normal cpu" or not, quantum computers are far from being on the market, so, customers will keep "supporting" binary cpus well because it's the only thing we have. There is like 5 quantum computers in the world dude...

Also, actual quantum computers won't do shit for your music, they just doesn't work that way. It's like asking a 80s computer to do some 48 tracks Pro Tools session. It's just too early. And it's not even proven that they will be useful for our applications (music, internet, games, whatever), even if on the paper, it would be a whole new world. So just stick to binary CPUs and dream about the 2048 cores processor we're gonna get in 2040.

I liked (made me smile) how you said that though, like every one here have the choice, right now, between building a binary computer or a quantum one, well you'll have to wait for it :dunno:

9. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Its the year 2048 of our lord and Diva still demands 2000 of those cores. Hey proper emulation demands powah.

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

https://audiosex.pro/members/ia.26408/
    a quantum computer is in a sense also binary, a bit is there called a qubit, represented by the riemann sphere. S^2, there is also the typical on off thing for atoms or whatever will be the qubit system.
    the theory for a QC is long setup and there is also some working research QCs, you can even buy one from D-Wave(major company selling QCs to gov and private companies), but they are far away from being for the domestic use sadly ...
    there is not even a generalized language yet, approaches are there on an academic level ...

so i guess the normal computer biz will go on a few more years, until we find a solution to use QC or comparable ideas/concepts.
    but you will notice that they pretty much run out of shrinking ideas, we are not @ 10nm, which is around 100 atoms, intels know this, thats why they will limit on their other things in their cpus and charge for it.

11. ia

ia Producer

So, in 2017 there only one company making QCs? But maybe there also some university/academic research/patent/scholar about QCs production and more people could get involved in the making of new future world? I would like to know how to produce QC at home (no jokes)(really)

so, things like c++ or other programming langs are useless in QCs?

People in the 80s started to fill their homes with PCs after appr. 30 years of research in the international space program, so I'm waiting for QCs for almost 10 years already. But in our age technologies emerging not by linear curve, but getting more and more by exponentional curve (cuz more and more people getting to be educated and know how to use internet and YT for learning and doing shit - what is nice)

yeah, that's what I'm talking about, more people - more ideas. We need to reveal this technology for people and teach them how to make things better and improve present technologies.
    they just marketing bitches who know how to make money by not bringing for humanity the groundbreaking-edge technologies.

12. ia

ia Producer

yep, I know how they looks like, this is big and heavy cupboards with very powerful cooling systems. AFAIK google using them for deep learning. So for me QCs are breathtaking things cuz humanity can figure out how to get rekt cancer and other shit by using QCs:wink::winker::disco:

13. sideshowtmc

sideshowtmc Producer

Sources? Only asking cus I've been scowling the web for leaks on prices for awhile now.

14. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Yep, it all points out that Intel is officially now scared of AMD's new line. As discussed with all the usual suspects here when Ryzen was launched, it was already evident that at the end, AMD's comeback would only benefit the consumers, especially the power users and even if they don't choose to buy AMD, because Intel would be forced to lower their prices in order to stay competitive. I mean how else can you explain this Intel response ? In just one generation they go from a 1700 dlrs/10core cpu to a 2000 dlrs/18core cpu. Moore's law back again in all its glory lol. The peeps i do feel sorry for is the ones who invested in the 10 core i7 only to find out 6 months later, Intel is selling an 18 core behemoth for almost the same money, and what's even worse their mobo is not compatible with the new cpu(s):wtf:
    Thankfully i sold my 6core i7 in time. Waiting for Threadripper and i9 but i think Threadripper will rip the sht out of every Intel offering where performance vs dlr is considered. Let's see...
    Cheers

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Depends if your daw will benefit from the number of cores. If you`re on cubendo you might have made a mistake since it benefits from higher clock speed vs nr. of cores.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

1) the problem seems to be to hold the open quantum system in stable state, right this done with lots of cooling - nitrogen so i am right. nitrogen itself isnt to expensive, but it still take to much energy to cool.

2) well right now every think is done by flipping something from 1 to 0 and back, the principle is pretty much the same for a computer on low level, but i think we need different language approaches as we have right now, maybe tell the system exactly what to do. like flip qubit and then perform all the basic quantum gates.
    then we have problems like the non copy theorem(you cant copy the state, but you can perform a one of the gates, think was a hadamard gate), so a few things are different in the qunatum world, some a pain, some are an advantage compared to the classical computer.
    i think i read something about an academy approach for a quantum computing language.
    also google has a quantum computer running for tests and research and d-wave, a few universities, but its still expensive, one reason see above.
    if you want to dive in quantum information theory, check out Michael A. Nielsen, Isaac L. Chuang-Quantum Computation and Quantum Information_ 10th Anniversary Edition-CUP (2011)
    the problem is popular science do oversimplify everything and miss out important problems right now, because they are hard to solve.

i think we need 20 more years, the whole QC theory and lots of the theorems and theoretical ideas are quite old - most of it from the 50s-80s.

i always found the whole operator theory around it sexy

3) look how long it took from the shockley diode to the first home computer with apple, ib, etc roughly 30 years.
    its hard to say how long it will take this time, as science become incredible wide in the last decades and its gets hard to find things, as there is just to much papers, concepts, approaches all that, but we also have the advantage in this decade that we have the internet.
    hmm as i was reading eduard frenkel - Love & maths, i noticed how hard it was to get books, papers, information in 70's in russia and he still managed to find what he needed. :)

they dont know how to bring new power to the new cpus, as the way has ended, parallization hits the limit with the amount of layers, they cant shrink the transistors more, therefore not more power for the chip - not more power no reason to buy a new cpu from intel/amd. this means i limit around @ the cpu features itself and make them cost extra, seems to be the only way to make extra cash, clever idea so to say.

17. saltwater

saltwater Guest

Cofveve lake starting this august :wink:

7nm in the Intel pipeline, release in 3/4 years

moores law still fits, it was just not given to us