Computer slow down with Ableton 9

Discussion in 'Live' started by Sonar Sounds, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Hi all,

I'm starting this topic because lately I've been noticing a general slowdown on my mac (all apps are becoming more and more slow everyday, including Live, Chrome, Mail, computer startup, etc...) and my Live startup time ranges from 30 seconds to 3-4 minutes (sometime even 10 minutes). I've got another Mac, too, which I rarely use (it's a portable computer in case I need it when travelling), which has the same version of Live on but it's way more faster (LIve's startup is about 10-15 seconds everytime).

Is Live 9 the cause of my slowdown or is it just because my iMac is older/more used than the other? Could it be a virus caught on an AudioZ download (I download a lot of stuff from the sister site :bleh:)?

Thanks! Any help on finding the cause and solution of the problem are welcome! :wink: :wink:

3. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Check if there is a wheel (library scan) in Ableton when your computer is slow.
    A lot of ppl reported very slow libray scan at startup :wink:
    Even here :
    Scan

4. westfinch

westfinch Platinum Record

I have had the same problem on PC. Going to try to kill the library scan process to see if it changes anything.

5. tidus1990

tidus1990 Producer

Yo i have a Macbook pro retina display 2.3GHz core i7 16 gb ram n my Ableton is laggy......wtf is going on.

6. mellowcat

mellowcat Newbie

If you install an ableton pack,live will search it everytime you open ableton live.just like kontakt libraries,if you install bunch of them with different sources like 3 separate drives it will cause slow down,also in live based on how much library you installed it will slow down your pc.the most important thing is your hard drive speed.try to uninstall your packs and use version 9.1 or above.

7. Sonar Sounds

Sonar Sounds Ultrasonic

Is deleting packs directly from the Packs section in ableton enough? Or it's the wrong way of uninstalling them?

8. mellowcat

mellowcat Newbie

Right click on them inside live environment and choose delete.
    also if you added some folders to your live delete them too by right click menu.

9. beatroot

beatroot Producer

http://abletonlife.com/6-ways-to-maximize-performance-in-ableton-live

10. 3am

3am Newbie

i know that deleting "files.db" in application support on a mac will speed it up dramatically, only thing is the deleting the files.db will make ableton have to re-scan everything