computer security tips

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tun, Mar 16, 2020.

1. tun

tun Rock Star

i think we have some very knowledgable people here when it comes to computer security, so lets help each other stay safe. suggest your security tips here. not just warez related, but general computer security. think of it as tips for the computer that you do not use for music production.

i will get the ball rolling:

obvious things like not clicking links in emails and on social media unless you trust the source

use a VPN. some say its only necessary on public connections but i think its necessary all the time.

where available use two factor authentication.

use PGP where possible.

anti-virus might cause problems on your studio computer, but on your browsing computer there is no reason to avoid it. if something flags up during day to day use then there is probably something to be concerned with.

disable javascript in your browser.

keep everything up to date to tackle vulnerabilities.

obvious one. keep your passwords strong and use unique ones all the time across different sites.

another obvious one. do not just click to accept everything (particularly on mobile devices). usually you are clicking to say you agree to be monitored by either the government or greedy folks, or both.

there are loads of things that i have missed, this list is endless. please help me fill the gaps.
    stay safe folks <3

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

Never permit so-called "Certified Micsrosoft Engineer" remote access your rig. When such sacmmers SysKey your 'puter, you are stuffed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. tun

tun Rock Star

great tip! thanks for the input <3