Compression on anything but Drums

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by FrankWhite23, May 12, 2023.

1. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

This is kinda a noob question but I watch a decent amount tutorials on fx processors EQ, Compressors, reverb, delay etc. And I understand how useful compression can be on drum tracks and drum buss, it's on just about every video, but I wanna know about what Compressors you use on everything else. What do you like on strings? Brass? Synthesizers? Like what seems to work for you? I love the arturia 609 comp, I'm more of a neve guy then a SSL guy and I just wish there was more info out there on this sort of thing then just always talking about drums. I know not everything needs compression but it's just nice having some experienced guys say I use this on this or atleast it's my first choice and for this reason. So I can maybe try it and see how it works and maybe adopt some new stuff or outlook on production.

3. 洋鬼子

洋鬼子 Producer

Apart from Drums I tend to use it often on Bass and Guitars because metal tracks need a tight controlled low end.
    Multiband compression on Guitars between the 100-300 Hz region to control the "chugs" better and compression on distorted bass to tame some of the dynamics. Sidechain compression between Kick and Bass also helps a lot to get the kick much clearer in your mix. Otherwise I always use a bus compressor for mastering which peaks somewhere between 2-3 dB to bring down the snare and kick. It probably depends on the genre and some mixing decisions are highly subjective.

Last edited: May 12, 2023
  4. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

- Kazrog True Dynamics, one of the first two algos works on almost everything and you can't make the handling easier
    - Arousor is pretty versatile
    - and of course fircomp 2 for pure digital compression