Compressing to Kontakt .ncw issues

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by Bunford, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Does anybody else have unreliability with this? I'm using the collect batch/convert option in Kontakt 5.6.1 to convert my .wav libraries to .ncw to save drive space. However, I'm finding that it is unreliable, making it very time consuming.

For example, I converted a library and it said all was done fine with no errors. However, upon going to move the .ncw to replace the .wav files, I noticed there are 2,885 .ncw files and 2,909 .wav files, meaning 24 files don't seem to have converted and gone missing. I then have to try and pick through these almost 6,000 files to spot the 24 that have not converted, replacing the .wav with the .ncw that have converted, leaving over the 24 .wav files in the library. I hope this makes sense as it's a bit confusing to explain.

This is not a one off either as it seems to have happened with virtually every library. It also doesn't seem to like converting IR/impulse .wav files either, maybe converting 1-8ish of them per library.

Not sure what to do now as I want (need) to save space, but also don't wanna end up with non-working libraries due to missing samples.

Anybody got any suggestions on how to speed this process up in a reliable way?

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Yes, I've seen exactly the same behaviour. Found no other way than waiting for ages.
    The direction Kontakt development is going recently makes me wonder how future-proof my libs still are...
    Not all manufacturers will update their instrument files because some just aren't anymore :unsure:

Missing samples are not always a problem, sometimes the instruments will work anyway because more samples were included than referenced in the instruments, but sometimes you may also have filename incompatibilities depending on your file system. HFS is more forgiving than FAT/exFAT/NTFS, for example, so saving under Win might fail with some files just for that reason.
    If I have the time, I deeply test re-saved stuff and if files are missing, I leave the originals included - just in case.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Kontakt will only compress files that are referenced by .nkis. If you have extra .wav files, it's because none of your instruments were referencing them. Same with the IRs. To save any IRs that didn't automatically, load a new instrument, change the IR to one that was missing and save it as a new instrument. You will have to do this for every un-referenced IR. Collect Samples / Batch Compress and Batch Re-Save again and you should be good.

I had this problem a while ago.

http://vi-control.net/community/thr...-batch-resaving-and-sample-compressing.41814/

Also Impule Responses, wallpapers/images are saved but not compressed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

So am I right in thinking then that whatever the .nki instruments are using, sample-wise, they convert. The samples not converted are simply ones that don't get used anyway? If so, then why are they there in the first place, unless it 'extra' options, such as different reverb, mic positions etc?!?!

6. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Dude over at KVR had the same issue compressing his Kontakt Shreddage library.
    An Impact Soundworks dev said they were samples of release squeaks/fret noise and were left unused by the instruments as they didn't think they sounded good.

Most likely the same case with yours. If you want to be check or save them regardless just create a new/empty instrument and load the sample.
    Save the instrument in it's own folder so you don't have to process the entire library. Collect/Compress. Return the newly compressed instrument folder to the rest of the library. Batch Re-Save.

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=329033

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I'm being ruthless and just deleting wav files, assuming Kontakt knows what it's doing. I know I'm gonna regret this already :unsure:

Started batch re-saving some libraries now. Would be nice if you got a "done" message instead of the grey box just disappearing!