Compressed samples: Do they use more CPU?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by drdark2, Apr 1, 2014.

1. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

Stupid me, by I never thought about this until just now when it was mentioned somewhere. So, the question would be; if uncompressed versions of libraries would take a load of my weak computer, should I convert them all to uncompressed?

3. Introninja

Introninja Audiosexual

From past reports & tests, you would only see a 2 percent difference, most of the Performance Hit is when you first load the samples(instruments).

If you have time to waste, HDD space to waste, life in general to waste thinking about it, Go ahead.

But i would prefer you to keep producing music, make some great money and worry about bigger things.

Till next time. :wink: Peace

4. drdark2

drdark2 Guest

Thank you, KontaktGuru! I will believe you. It would be a waste of everything, but since I cannot load many heavier instruments at the same time I thought this might help, but only if it would help a lot, and it obviously wouldn't.

5. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

6. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

If you are unable to load many thing at the same time, one solution would be to freeze some tracks. This way your CPU should not be on its knees so fast.

7. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

The opposite actually, the new compressed format is more efficient and loads faster than uncompressed.

8. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

Thats the shortest and most accurate answer...
    it saves ram too!
    I really compress every library and prefer compressed sample containers over single samples as they boost performance once more. Additionally the filesystem stays tidy, not junked with millions of single small files that kinda slow down performance and fragment the filesystem.

9. nikon

nikon Platinum Record

Kontakt sample handling

If you load instrument about 100mb with 20 samples, Kontakt will load it this way:

1. Load chunk of 120kb or 60kb of every single sample (20) of instrument into RAM (it depends on how set DFD buffer), and it will be shown on cpu meter maybe 2mb only, because that is cached in RAM.
    2. Rest of samples Kontakt will reach from HDD when you start the play and when it need's to.

If you load compressed same instrument which is now per example 50mb

1. Kontakt will load smaller amount of samples into RAM (compressed), but it will doing decompress in the fly
    2. The rest of sampes Kontak will be reach and decompress into fly from HDD

Here is a description from manual:

Monolith format

In this case, KONTAKT will write the Samples using a proprietary, lossless audio codec that typically yields compression rates between 30% and 50%. This will not only improve access performance when streaming the Instrument from disk, but will also reduce its memory footprint, as KONTAKT will decompress the Samples on-the-fly from memory with very little CPU overhead.