Comparison between various compressors

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by dsn101, May 2, 2016.

1. dsn101

dsn101 Guest

Hi, recently I made a comparison between various compressors of different companies to see what does this made to our signal.
    The test was the following, I generated a signal of 1khz with pro tools signal generator at -10dB, so the settings for the compressors must not compress at all and the output should match -10dB again to see if any harmonics is added and at what level.
    Note: Native Instruments controls were not as accurate, -10dB was not easy, if not impossible, to achieve so close approximations were use.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  3. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Nice work. But this data needs to be interpretated as well.

For referencing, a screenshot of the original tone spectrum is necessary to check if that is a "pure" tone or if it already has overtones. Also, the analyzer should be setup the same every time. The frequency range of some of the spectrums starts around 1 kHz where others show the full spectrum which could be misleading and makes it diffivult to compare the overtone structure against each other.

4. dsn101

dsn101 Guest

You are right, let me upload some new material.

5. dsn101

dsn101 Guest

Photos:
    1khz.png NIVARI.png NIVC2A.png NIVC76.png NIVC160.png

6. dsn101

dsn101 Guest

Photos:
    TRACKS76.png TRAKS2A.png WACLA2A.png WACLA3A.png

7. dsn101

dsn101 Guest

Photos:
    WACLA76-BLACKY.png WACLA76-BLUEY.png