Companies and musicans that wrote and write music history.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BEAT16, May 15, 2021.

1. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Australian Ingenuity developed and made in my hometown. Fairlight CMI the trailblazers in Sampling

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Peter Vogel lives about a kilometre from me. I check some nights to see if he's left the garage door unlocked.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

No, Adam was a man, you're just ribbing me!

4. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I don't remember any flutes, but there was lots of other music played in Bedrock, these three and plenty of others

5. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Compact cassette

Since 1960 Philips has been working on a handy tape medium under the project name “pocket recorder”. A block of wood that fit in a jacket pocket was used as a template and provided the dimensions for the later recording and playback device. On August 28, 1963, Philips then presented the result, the compact cassette and the associated cassette recorder equipped with transistors. Grundig AG brought out the alternative DC-International system in 1965, which, however, was unable to establish itself on the market. The compact cassette also paved the way for the success of Sony's Walkman.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  6. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Meat flutes have one A-sharp hole but a real flute needs at least 2 holes to acoustically make noise so the air can have a clear passage.

It's a muted trumpet at best. Funky brief moments in passing that can leave something behind everlasting.

7. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

My favorite of all the samplers still to this day. There's just some magic dust in that machine that hasn't been full replicated. I do love the Bitly samples though. Takes me back to Kate Bush, Tears for Fears, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Prince, etc.

Peter was actually selling new Fairlight CMIs until he got embroiled in a trademark legal battle: https://petervogelinstruments.com.au/

8. Tele_Vision

Tele_Vision Platinum Record

Love Fairlights but I sure do miss my SP1200! Wish I never sold that thing

9. Donut Nyamer

Donut Nyamer Audiosexual

Good ole pensil used to fix all are problems. It even paved the way for the last good thing Sony made. The walkman all thanks to Phillip & his pensil.

10. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Platinum Record

Company: Chapman
    Artist: Tony Levin

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Peter Gabriel

Peter Gabriel Platinum Record

Also @Lenny Belardo II gotta add this Maestro// The funky side of Moog

Company Moog:
    Artist: Bernie Worrell

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Jan Hammer - Beyond The Mind's Eye

13. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

they are wrong, gated verbs were used over the 90s and 00s in dance music on claps, snare samples. actual i still love the sound today. :guru:

very lucky accident they had there, this sound - i love it.

ughhh wtf these new pop songs, just go away with it, sounds like a 80s clone, very boring :(

14. Dimentagon

Dimentagon Rock Star

Atari!!!!
    I owned a
    1040 ST
    1040 STFM
    Mega
    Atari Falcon with an FDI and the Stienberg Unitor Striped to an Fostex E16 with the remote.
    Running Notator, Clab, and Cubase Audio before buying a Mac

steinberg-fdi-spdif-interface-atari_1_c0eb7b882026010505ee208b197062eb.jpg

fostex-e16-4050-auto-locator_360_3b32ea5d88565abdc342c86c3151c9ce.jpg

688251218_SMP-24(01).jpg.6189ac3e9b20a4c657db5b0c3526ceb9.jpg steinberg-fdi-spdif-interface-atari_1_c0eb7b882026010505ee208b197062eb.jpg
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Vangelis is a Greek composer and one of the pioneers of electronic music. He is also known for his film music for productions such as Chariots of Fire, Blade Runner and Conquest of Paradise.

Vangelis - Blade Runner Soundtrack (Remastered 2017)

16. Roberto Parkinson

Roberto Parkinson Member

If you mention Iannis Xenakis, you definitely have to mention Arnold Schoenberg, inventor of 12 tone music who basically broke with all the formerly known and taught compositional practices. A lot of his music is hard to listen to but he also wrote many beautiful compositions like transfigured night (verklärte nacht) and his "theory on harmony" is the one and only book about composition I will ever recommend to anybody. Its quite a hard read at first but if you make it through you won‘t regret it because its the one music theory book I ever read that really explains why there are certain rules in voice leading etc.., how they developed in the historical context and at the end how to break them.

Another composer worth mentioning is John Cage who was a student of Schoenberg when he was in exile in the US. Famous story: Schoenberg once told cage that he was afraid that he didn't‘t have the talent to become a "good" composer in the ordinary sense saying that how hard he might ever try he will always hit a wall and Cage replied: then I will bang my head against that wall until it tumbles down and in fact he did. His piece 4‘33 is famous because the musicians come onto the stage and do nothing. The composition is the noise the musicians and the audience make while waiting for something to happen. He also wrote music by using many tape recorders playing noises and sounds combining them to a musical piece, so you could basically call him the inventor of sampling.

17. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

Awesome stuff!

I couldn't find much info about the Steinberg FDI, tho..
    Is this thing pre or post SoundBlaster 16/AWE32 craze and Windows95?
    Is it 16 or 24 bit?

The first soundcard I had was an AWE32,
    but I didn't pick up guitar/music until a few years later at 15..

So it kinda got outdated by the time I got to try and make music..

I loved its MIDI sound tho, (EMU8011/Yamaha OPL3? I may have never heard that Yamaha chip..)
    Transport Tycoon, Heroes, Bullfrog and Lucasarts stuff sounded phenomenal :yes:

But yeah, very noisy for a 16bit card,
    it wasn't until SBLive! came along that Creative cards resembled anything usable for Audio..

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  18. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Steinberg - Short Story

The company was founded in 1984 by the musician and studio technician Karl "Charlie" Steinberg and the piano player Manfred Rürup, who at that time only had one product on the market: a simple 16-track MIDI sequencer package called the Multitrack Recorder.

Steinberg's first product was the Steinberg Pro16 MIDI sequencer for the Commodore 64. Two years later, Steinberg released its Pro-24 software, which included new functions such as 24 MIDI tracks, professional scoring, quantization and editing of MIDI parameters such as velocity. The editing options also included the notation of the score (introduced in version 2.0) and a grid editor in the step sequencer for drums. Pro 24 was also ported to the Commodore Amiga, but was never as successful as the Atari version due to the lack of MIDI support.

After intensive research and development, Steinberg presented the Cubase 1.0 software, a digital audio workstation for studio use, or DAW for short, in 1989 and ended the development of Pro 24. [2] The first version of Cubase was characterized by the introduction of the MROS (MIDI Real-time Operating System) protocol, an early predecessor of the Steinberg / Propellerhead ReWire system, which enabled the transfer of musical data between programs.

In 1991 Steinberg released Cubase Audio for Macintosh and a year later a version for Windows 3.1.
    In 1992 Steinberg added further audio functions to the Cubase software and named it Cubase Audio - the concept of MIDI and audio recording became accessible to a broader group of users.

In 1996 the engineers at Steinberg developed the Virtual Studio Technology (VST) and integrated it into the Cubase Engine, which is the first native software to contain a real-time studio environment with equalizers, effects, mixing and automation. In 1997 the VST implementation also followed for Windows.

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steinberg_Media_Technologies

Last edited: May 26, 2021