Coins in a piggy bank

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by BuntyMcCunty, May 16, 2022.

1. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

So I'm trying to make the sound of coins being dropped into a piggy bank -- both individually, but then the sound of rattling the coins once they're actually in the bank.

I understand that there'd be some delay on the sound after the coin 'drops', and there'd be some reverb -- indicative of a small but empty pig. The rattling of coins would surely be achieved by a semi-random cluster of hits with varying velocities to control the loudness. What I'm struggling with is how I'd make the original sound of metal on porcelain. I guess I'd be looking for some kind of pluck sound -- but perhaps a metalic pluck? Something from FM perhaps?

All hints and tips gratefully received.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

If I can find a piggy bank that should be lurking somewhere in our house, would you like me to drop some coins in and record it for you?

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Is there a special reason you wouldn't just sample it? I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but this would be extremely tricky and complex. e.g. the second coin would (probably) hit the first one + the ceramic..

But yes, if you'd want to synth it, FM, additive, physical mod, some strange IRs etc. would be the way to go.

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

6. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

It's a job. Client wants a synth sound rather than a sample. I'll probably do both to give them the option (given how easy the sample would be) but the synthesis struck me as particularly challenging.

I'll have a dig around in Falcon though. I bet there's a preset in there that'll get me close.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List