Closed or Open Back Headphones?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by jim26, Sep 14, 2016.

1. jim26

jim26 Noisemaker

I was about to buy studio headphones specially for mixing. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X looks a good choice but they are closed type. Should i choose open back headphones for mixing? Can you recommend me anyone about in the same price with ATH-M50X? Thanks!

3. bluerover

bluerover Audiosexual

I use open for mixing and closed for tracking, but sometimes check the mix with a few pairs, consisting of closed and open.

But, yes, the AT-M50x is a great pair of headphones for mixing AND tracking., and a great choice.

Comfort of the phones (and flat freq response, too) is the most important aspect for me. The M50x will start to get uncomfortable after an hour of wear.

The most comfortable phones that I own are the AKG-k702 and HD-558 (598 is even more comfy).

For even less money, the Sony MDR-7506 is another great set of phones!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

I'd say Sennheiser HD 280s - they're great for both tracking and mixing, and offer great isolation. Here's a review I found from someone who also has the AT-M50x
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD280Pros

5. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

The word goes that closed cans have better low frequency response than open back types. Which would be good for mixing. (although you shouldn't be mixing on headphones - but it is a low budget way to check for bass frequencies when you don't have a room that's treated for bass). Open back headphones would be better to wear for hours on end, they don't isolate that much (which can be an advantage).
    Another choice for a closed one: Beyer Dynamic DT 770, plus hearing good things about Ultrasone headphones

6. jim26

jim26 Noisemaker

I had the AKG K 272 HD and i was very disappointed! Specially, the bass sounds distorted. So i am not thinking about AKG for now.

7. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

If you need to judge relative levels, transient presence and actual bass response then open back headphones are going to be more accurate across the board. You will pay more for an open cup design and some require a headphone amp.

If you want to take advantage of the bones in your skull to "enhance" the bass response if your headphone driver but are wlling to give up on relative levels (the sealing of air creates a natural form of compression when the driver membrane moves air your ear drum also moves with it not just the cillia in your auditory canal.)

The difference in comfort is negligible, the difference in physics is up to you.

An open back design will approximate a loudspeaker better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. I have absolutely no experience using open back headphones for at least 12 years or more, but since you are digging those Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (I have two of them, the original and the new updated one) why don't you audition the Audio-Technica ATH AD900X (about $139)? They're supposed to sound fantastic although some people have fit issues. The ATH AD 900X most probably have a sound in the same family that you are used to. Sorry that I couldn't help any more to make your decision and easier to make a final decision.

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

AT-M50x is one of the few that can do both at a push, although there are better options for mixing, it would require a bigger expenditure.

10. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

From someone who works exclusively in headphones, open back for mixing is the way to go. You need to be able to hear you're music breathe.
    I've already discussed this on the monitors or headphones thread. Samson SR 850's. cheap, light, comfortable, accurate, translate well, and open back. For the price you can't go wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Nope, closed back have shitty hyped response - just like when you cup a mic. Try this website: http://www.mcsquared.com/wavelength.htm
    A 50Hz wave is 6.8m long. And you're trying to put that inside a sealed can, so what can it do? Yes, you guessed right - bounce all over the place and create a whole bunch of weird resonances. They don't have "better low frequency response", they just boost the bass naturally, but in all kinds of weird frequencies. For mixing you usually want precise bass, not loud bass.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. davea

davea Platinum Record

For mixing tasks may I propose you the Beyer DT 990 Pro, open headphones for less ears fatigue than close Headphones, obviously.

13. Mattc90

Mattc90 Kapellmeister

Open-back headphones are made specifically for the task of mixing/ mastering as they allow air and sound to pass freely in and out of the headphone cups giving a more accurate 'picture' of the full frequency spectrum. Closed-back headphones prevent sound from escaping, providing fantastic isolation but with compromise on the balance of sound. The downside of the closed-back design is that it traps pressure inside the headphone, which creates false low frequencies. These false low frequencies manifest in a hyped bass sound and are fine for most monitoring uses but less desirable for critical listening where accurate frequency translation is key to achieving a balanced mix and making mix decisions that translate well onto other systems.

Headphones with an open-back design often provide a more accurate and natural frequency balance, with the trade off of providing slightly less isolation (but that hardly matters if you're in a quiet environment fit for critical listening). Extremely well engineered open-back headphones can provide almost the same isolation as high quality closed back headphones, but its a luxury you’d have to pay for. That said, there are some excellent “semi-open-back” headphones that are affordable, well balanced, and provide enough isolation for some professional tracking applications.

A great cheap starter pair of "semi open-back" mixing headphones are the Samson SR 850 which are only around £40 at the moment and have a well balanced freqeuncy response with articulate deep bass/ highs and an ergonomic but simple design perfect as a starter pair of headphones for composing/ mixing any kind of music on. I currently own a pair and they really are incredible for how cheap they are. They easily stand up in comparison to headphones triple the price in my opinion.

Another great pair of fully open-back headphones I own are the very popular Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO (around £120 roughly) (which I can see have been mentioned already). They also have a fantastic balanced frequency response with slightly elevated bass which I find really helps with producing music where bass is an important factor. The sound is clean, open and articulate right out of the box.

Ultimately it's up to you what to buy and like with anything in music it's all subjective as to which headphone make/ manufacturer you prefer (here's a list of popular models as a starter: http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-recording-studio-headphones/). In my opinion if you're looking for headphones for mixing specifically you'd be better off spending money on even low to mid price semi or open-back design headphones than closed simply for the reasons I stated above. Even a cheaper open-back headphone will be far superior for mixing than any closed-back design you can buy just by the nature of how they're manufactured.

I actually owned the Audio Technica ATH-M50s for a few years and got used to them for mixing electronic stuff like dubstep and future garage (and loved them for just casual music listening because of the extended bass boost) but upon changing them for the Beyerynamic open-back design ones I really noticed what I was missing out on when mixing. They are just so much more clear and transparent. Open-back headphones are just WAY better for mixing!

Hope all that rambling helps anyway dude! :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. jim26

jim26 Noisemaker

Thanks for the answer. I am between my first choice Audio-Technica ATH-M50X (close) and the BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro (open). They are almost at the same price. It is the second time that someone suggests me the Samson SR 850 and i check them. Amazing price but take a look what they are saying in their own site: "WARNING: This product contains Chemicals, including DEHP, known to the State of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm." I am not gonna eat them, but i will go with ATH-M50X or DT 990 Pro.

15. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

If you buy the BD DT 990 Pro, do not forget to invest in a good heaphone amp. High impedance headphones and crap outputs do not play well together.

16. ash1

ash1 Ultrasonic

About California Proposition 65

California's Proposition 65 entitles California consumers to special warnings for products that contain chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm if those products expose consumers to such chemicals above certain threshold levels. We care about our customers' safety and hope that the information below helps with your buying decisions.

We are providing the following warning for products linked to this page:

WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    Tools

California requires the following notice:

WARNING: Some dust created by power sanding, sawing, grinding, drilling, and other construction activities contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:

lead from lead-based paints,
    crystalline silica from bricks and cement and other masonry products, and
    arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber.

Your risk from exposure to these chemicals varies, depending on how often you do this type of work. To reduce your exposure, work in a well-ventilated area and with approved safety equipment, such as dust masks that are specially designed to filter out microscopic particles.
    Lead Crystal Glasses

Lead levels in the crystal glasses sold in our Kitchen & Housewares Store comply with FDA standards. California requires the following separate notice:

WARNING: Consuming foods or beverages that have been kept or served in leaded crystal products will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. This warning does not apply to Baccarat decanters, flacons, stoppered pitchers, and mustard and jam pots.
    Ceramic Tableware

Lead levels in the ceramic tableware sold in our Kitchen & Housewares Store comply with FDA standards. California requires the following separate notice for ceramic tableware on the packaging:

WARNING: Use of this tableware will expose you to lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    Jewelry and Tiffany Style Lamps

WARNING: This product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
    Electrical Cords

WARNING: The wires of this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
    Motor Vehicles

WARNING: Motor vehicles contain fuel, oils and fluids, battery posts, terminals and related accessories which contain lead and lead compounds and other chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and other reproductive harm. These chemicals are found in vehicles, vehicle parts and accessories, both new and as replacements. When being serviced, these vehicles generate used oil, waste fluids, grease, fumes and particulates, all known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and reproductive harm.
    Beauty Products

California requires the following notice on beauty and skin care products that contain progesterone:

WARNING: This product contains progesterone, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer. Consult with your physician before using this product.
    Fresh Fruits, Nuts, and Vegetables

WARNING: This product may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
    Alcoholic Beverages, Including, Without Limitation, Beer, Malt, Beverages, Wine, and Distilled Spirits

WARNING: Drinking Distilled Spirits, Beer, Coolers, Wine and Other Alcoholic Beverages May Increase Cancer Risk, and, During Pregnancy, Can Cause Birth Defects.
    Canned and Bottled Foods and Beverages

WARNING: Many cans containing foods and beverages sold here have epoxy linings used to avoid microbial contamination and extend shelf life. Lids on jars and caps on bottles may also have epoxy linings. Some of these linings can leach small amounts of bisphenol A (BPA) into the food or beverage. BPA is known to the State of California to cause harm to the female reproductive system. For more information, go to http://oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html.
    Coffee and Some Roasted Nuts, Baked Goods and Snack Foods

WARNING: Chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, including acrylamide, are present in coffee and some roasted nuts, baked goods and snack foods such as chips. Acrylamide is not added to these products, but results naturally from the roasting, baking or cooking process. The FDA has not advised people to stop consuming foods that are fried, roasted, or baked. For more information regarding the FDA's views, visit www.fda.gov.

sorry about the long post
    im taking delivery of Samson SR 850 today i think as long as i dont eat them i should be ok lol

17. jim26

jim26 Noisemaker

I do not have a headphone amp. I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Is that gonna be a problem?

18. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

im pretty sure for your needs and buget there is No need for a amp for the headphones.
    i've been using closedback cannes for ages and just recently after a week of research, got a pair of AKG opencannes. they are really great i love them. - are they "better" than closedback cannes? i'd say it depends on the situation.

Id say go to a shop and try out the difference between open and closed and see what you like the most.

19. jim26

jim26 Noisemaker

Can anyone give me a review for the PRESONUS HD-7-A? They are in a really low price like the Samson SR 850.

20. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

DEHP is particularly important for medical devices such as blood bags and dialysis equipment which are exempt from authorisation under Articles 60(2) and 62(6) of the REACH Regulation EC No 1907/2006.
    So i guess if its ok for blood bags,it should be ok for your head unless you intend to eat it :)

21. SPACENGINEER

SPACENGINEER Member

YES MAN!THE BEYERDYNAMICS! (250 0hm)