Clean & Polish Autotune Effect - How to achieve it ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by VieSombre, Nov 14, 2016.

1. VieSombre

VieSombre Newbie

Hello everybody !

I'm not here for a war between autotune users and non-users,
    I just want to improve my mixing skills, and i know that this post will help in the future..

First of all, i'm french so you should escuse my english.

I'm working on a song right now and i put auto-tune on my vocals, here it's what i have :

(For listening purpose, i put some gain on the Master), Download the file for better hearing because the hoster compress everything.

No FX :

With Auto-tune on it :

(Autotune setting used in attached files)

Question 1 : how can i have a polish autotune sound, because in my opinion there are some weird noise when auto-tune is correcting the pitch ?

Some example of what i looking for when i say "polish autotune"

Question 2 : I think there are some others effects in the vocalchain like flanger or some vocoder; what do you guys

think ? and how can i do some after Auto-tune makeUp?

Dry Vocal if you want :

Thanks you,

Attached Files:

3. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

I didn't listen to your files as they're not showing and your settings don't tell me much but I think I know what you're hearing.......its a problem with all pitch correction.

Best advice is to suggest less is more.

I think you should try Melodyne, to my ears its far more transparent, and I think that is what you're looking for.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I know what your sayin bro you WANT the Autotune sound but you wana achieve with Smooth results right? You need to read the manual an look up as many Tuts as you can find cause its not a one trick pony >>> i could show you how to do it but i dont really have that much time you gota adjust it to the source key an all so >>> go to YouTube your best friend on this an study the manual :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. dbmuzik

dbmuzik Platinum Record

You can push Melodyne to a further extreme before it yields an unnatural result. With AutoTune (depending which version you have) you can set the correction style to "none" if you only want to focus on smooth/transparent tonal shaping. You can also reduce the retune speed, pitch amount, and amplitude amount for more natural results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I personally tested this myself recently and I suggest you do so too, taking the time to test each taught me the strengths and weakness of each program. Here is my list from most transparent and natural, to least transparent and robotic with my opinions on each.

1. Vielklang - Amazingly natural tuning, if it had ARA integration it would be the ultimate tuning solution.
    2. Melodyne - ARA makes it the fastest tuning around, results were 2nd best, some subtle artifacts are the only problem.
    3. Revoice Pro - Perfect for tuning many tracks from a guide track quickly, mixed results, perfect for stacked tracks but not lead vocals.
    4. Waves Tune - A little better than AT.
    5. Autotune - The standard.
    6. Nectar - Nice try.
    7. Izotope T-Pain - Pure robot heaven when needed.

As always to each their own.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. recycle

recycle Guest

Tuning the human voice is an art.
    in my experience, halftone is the maximum level of correction, and also you have to respect the singer's legato and glissato between notes. The abuse of tuning will lead to innatural results: you cant turn a G into a C without having artifacts (unless you are looking for that typical T-Pain effect)

in my opinion, most versatile voice tuning software is melodyne

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  8. diazz100

diazz100 Noisemaker

With melodyne pitch correction Tuned in D min With melodyne Tuned in D min more Fx

9. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

I use Revoice Pro an Melodyne like most here said... only time i use Autotune is if somone request it for the Effect it gives... i know my way round to use it but i personally Avoid using it \m/

10. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've recently been playing with Antares Autotune. Autotune works ok if you're vocal is pretty close to begin with and you are just trying to get some final polish. Biggest problem I'm running into with it, is long notes with vibrato end up with a gurgling/turkey gobbling kind of unnatural thing in them. I figured I'll just automate the pitch correction amount parameter during those notes. I really wish the speed parameter was expressed in milliseconds as I'd like to get the correction to occur in time with the song so it seems more like part of the vocal phrasing.
    Based on above, I'm going to look at VeilKlang and see if it does better with such things. But yeah, maybe I just need to learn more with Melodyne.

11. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I know about it, I just did not test it yet. Considering how well Vielklang sounds I'm sure reTune will sound very good, but lacks in depth editing.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  12. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I use melodyne to get the lead vox/gtr right. Even used it to fix an acoustic gtr strum that had a string out. Love that DNA feature.
    Then ReVoice to tighten up the doubles. Or make them if we didnt record them.
    The only times I use autotune or wavestune is when I need it live or if im looking for that autotune effect.
    Melodyne is great. I also have used it to rip the midi from live recorded bass gtr and piano before, then use kontakt libs to replace them. You still gotta go in and tweak the notes and velocities, but it does a decent job of ripping it to midi.

All the time I used to spend recording takes and dbls, trip etc. Not anymore. Once I know I can comp a clean take, Im sending you to the store for beer and tacos. I'll use the plugs and apps to make the rest

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. VieSombre

VieSombre Newbie

Impressive , thanks you!

14. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Yeah, yeah, I'm quoting myself... :bleh:

Just wanted to say I figured out what was causing the gurgling. Make sure to set the voice type correctly as I had it on soprano, and me man pipes are more of a tenor. So I guess it was due to the formants not being corrected properly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Oysters

Oysters Audiosexual

did not know Poland is so famous for their auto tuning skills

:hillbilly:

16. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

It is a one trick pony, but the version the OP is using isn't the best in my opinion. (auto-tune 5.09)
    anyhow, try to dial tracking to 67, retune speed on 0 and flex tune on classic

get the right key and you are good to go.

Edit: so that I'm clear about it, I kindly disagree with all posted above

I'm sorry guys, it's that simple

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016