Classic Techstep Drum Samples/Loops Suggestions

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Shocon, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Shocon

Shocon Newbie

Hi everyone!

In search of finding some classic drum samples/loops for my nostalgia trip back into the 90s with techstep DnB. You know the sound, Ed Rush, Dom & Roland, TeeBee, Dillinja... all the greats at their most potent of production days.

Searching for packs or samples can be a bit of a mish and thought i might put a post out there and see if anyone knows or can suggests where i can find these. Modern drums just dont have that aged sound!

Thanks!

3. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

Maaaaaaate
    Find some classic funk or jazz breaks. The more ghost snares the better. Pitch 'em til they hit your tempo. Loop 'em. Chop 'em. Use another one soley for high percussion. Compress 'em.
    Or use any VST with drum samples from 90s-2000s era, like whatever Cubase had back there, or era-authentic recreation like Korg Triton, and find Drum and Bass oriented presets there.
    No such thing as "classic Techstep sample pack".

4. Shocon

Shocon Newbie

Ah, i appreciate the advice! Yeah, i have been jamming with a variety of breakbeats i have but just never seen to get them to the sounds that are engrained in my memory. I will have another pop though with some jazz breaks though. Cant hurt!

When you say ghost snares, im assuming that you are referring to the snare muted and then sidechained for ducking?

5. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

6. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

7. Daisy69

Daisy69 Platinum Record

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

9. Lee

Lee Ultrasonic

Thanks for the Fanu link - his album with Laswell is brilliant

10. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I've always felt Chromophone is a pretty slept on physical modeling synth that gets you in the ball park for those type of synthetic/metallic sounds that a lot of techstep producers were making back in that era. In fact, if youve ever watched the Metalheadz doc, Optical was using a Korg Z1 when Virus put out Wormhole, and that was great PM synth. I had a Triton rack with the MOSS expansion around time for that exact purpose, but Chromophone is way more flexible for creating those type of percussive hits/fx/textures. Layered over your favorite breaks and you got yourself a winner chicken dinner.

Heres a little video of what you can do a few instances. These are just stock presets using only a little eq to get things to sit in the mix a little better:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023