Class like deadmau5's master class for a better price or better material?

Discussion in 'Education' started by xXDayDreamerXx, Feb 11, 2017.

1. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I must say that if I didnt grow up going to WMCs and raves and dj'ing here in Florida, I would probably be as blind as foster. Certainly not as closed minded and nieve but still stuck.

2. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Arrogant? No. Indeed I didn't used my finest selection of words.

Let's see what subGENRE (no pun intended) I personally don't like (because I like a lot of music to be honest)... hardstyle - I wouldnt' listen to this genre for an entire hour. You won't hear me ever bashing this genre. Because I know is not easy to make, sometimes it takes hours just to properly process the kick. My whole point is "make that music genre, see how difficult can be, then shut the f-k up".

This scenario never happened yet: "make that music genre, finish 5 good tracks in 2 hours each (to show that you have both skill and inspiration) then come back to us with your living proof that the genre sucks, is easy to make hence worthless".

This is what I'm all about. Focus on producing & listening* what you like instead of throwing mud at everything around.

*Actually is worth listening what you don't like, good production ideas can come out of it.

3. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Not true, it's in you. It's that dubious track from a commercial, from someone's car, a recovered-from-someone-else-s-thrash vinyl record, the last track on a friend's tape - that gets you curious and hungry for more.
    Because this is how we grow, by cultivating what we love, what we are curious about, not by spreading our hate towards everything and forgetting to dig towards what we actually like.

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

WHAT is usually more important than HOW. People produce or listen to mediocre musics (no matter how complicatedly they've been done) not necessarily because they like them but due to the fact that they have not had much opportunity or chance to discover what a good music should be.:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
  5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Exactly!!!
    Putting an engine to power a carriage along a horse (complicated and hard to acomplish) = this is what you do all day long by focusing in enhancing electronic dance music which is a well-established "horse and carriage". "They" don't do it wrong, they are the masters in doing great stuff with a horse & carriage. If you want to rally, read below.

Putting an engine to a new platform adapted for the engine not horse = evolution (easy and elegant solution). Instead ow wondering why dance electronic music doesn't have complex melodies, 12-note chords, 3 scales, 20 basslines, 6 snares and 80 crashes, just invent a new genre and call it a day.

Yeah. That's your opinion. Until you hear a properly directed slow tempo live concert then you'll never want to listen anything recorded. You always have the impression that your treshold is everybody's.

6. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

Understood.
    Then we are probably very similar in that regard.
    Now that's something I know I'll never be able to do. Firstly I'm not that skilled and very much an amateur. It takes me at least 10 minutes to turn on and set up my gear for recording depening on what style I'm doing.On top of that, make or find samples and load them into the sample player, if I'm using them on the track. Play and sequence parts into the sequencers for the track, work out the arrangement, practice playing the arrangement and record it. Play in and record any extra parts. Record vocals, if I'm using them, so I couldn't see myself doing all in 2 hours.

7. xXDayDreamerXx

xXDayDreamerXx Ultrasonic

Boi this thread spun out of proportion lol. I think one of the things I dislike about all of the electronic music scenes is how people fuss over specifics so much... Just make music man. Don't worry about what genre. That's my 2 cents on that, too bad I suck at everything but chiptune :rofl:everything's easier when it's lofi. So I guess the area I should start in is learning how to make good synths, drums, etc. Good sounds in general. I think my other main problem has just been sort of finding a good workflow that works for me when building a song. I'm not feeling too terribly specific on what I want to produce exactly, but there's these amazing ideas in my head I'd love to be able to just sort of pull out of my brain and put it into real life. I guess if I were to give those songs genres it'd be a lot of trance and melodic dubstep. I can say that my main inspirations are David Guetta, Porter Robinson, and Deadmau5 (but definitely not that guy's attitude and mannerisms lol. he can be funny at times tho!) I know they're mainstream as hell and pretty basic :P I still have a lot of exploring to do tbh. I also know a few very very obscure producers but eh they aren't worth mentioning yet.

8. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

Wich DAW do you use?

Some youtube channels where you can get some info about producing music, music theory, mixing...
    There are plenty more... :winker:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKy2GMVOA392OYDi-y_Pzrw
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJimmystewert/featured
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbdhEtUEo9x-sNNOpAe3cMQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ4qFyN4YHX_alL3MrL0UVQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNBiLBQrKrnvwcVRD5fS8aA
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCno8mYpnGhTA9COSW9sP8gQ
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyiC_SKm-R5WLVMYmxuMXxA

9. xXDayDreamerXx

Currently dabbling with FL Studio. I've been watching SeamlessR's tutorials as of recently. I am willing to maybe consider getting another main DAW like Ableton but the price is painful even with a student discount. (Also I better note here I'm using a windows computer.)

10. NicoDPS

NicoDPS Platinum Record

I know nothing about FL, but Ableton is another story and i can give you some good youtube channels to help you to learn it.
    You can download a 30 days demo on their website to see if you like it before buying, and if you are eligible for the student version it's not so expensive especially if you save 200 $ that you were willing to pay for a course... :)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  11. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

As I said earlier, don't spend the money on a course, put it towards a decent midi controller. with faders, knobs and pads. The ability to adjust parameters quickly and easily with both hands will make for a much better experience.
    That's something that will come with time, when you get used to using your tools, also you'll have templates set up for you tracks. It will be your workflow. What works for some doesn't work for others.
    Yes they are.

12. xXDayDreamerXx

Got one! It's an akai mpk mini, I have the slightly older model. I probably should whip it out a bit more often but it usually just reminds me that I need to get dad to finally get me some proper piano lessons... That he suggested himself, but yet every time I talk about the subject he dodges it and he's the one who's always harassing me to get back into music. Waiting on you, Dad! (..sorry. Got ranty.) :trashing:

Oo! That's excellent advice thank you. I should really spend more time getting to know my tools shouldn't I? You can't make a masterpiece if you don't even know how to doodle.. I think approaching my music with the mentality I use for my art might get rid of my current problems :O thanks for helping me realize this! (also art thread will come soon.. :P)
    I have a plan to go into detail a bit about each one, because they all share one thing in common: They're in a niche music community that I'm apart of and I was hoping to share that community with you guys because we're rather small. So that will probably be a massive thread with an info dump. For now I'll just share my favorite tracks that have quite a bit of popularity! (putting a spoiler here so this doesn't become massive. Also please note that all tracks but "Pacify" do not use a real singer, it is a virtual singer program known as VOCALOID. like I said more details later.)

13. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

That's not what I would call decent, as there isn't enough control. O.K to use when travelling. I would go minimum 49 keys, and if you are going to have piano lessons then an 88 key. Something that will intergrate with your DAW, to improve your workflow. I think these look pretty good for the price, but I'm sure other people would be able to help more. If I was to get a midi keyboard I would probably go for one of these.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ImpactLX49P
    This shows you the intergration for FL studio.

They do a semi weighted 88 key, which is twice the price. Review here.

If you're wondering what I use for a midi keyboard, I have one of these.
    [​IMG]
    37 key synth action with velocity and aftertouch. Pitch bend, mod wheel and 4 way modulation log. No USB, but midi in, out and thru. Oh! and a physical modeling synth engine. I don't use a DAW as my setup is hardware.
    Personally not a fan of VOCALOID myself, but that's just me. It would be a boring world if we were all the same.