CLAP: The New Audio Plug-in Standard

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by dondada, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I really wish for CLAP to succeed. Truly free open source, some modern features, the core in C without C++ self-masturbation over-complexity (I'm not looking at you VST3).
    Anyways it's still early.
    Also, the UI part, which is really complex, has yet to be done. For now it has to be done with another framework.

2. PifPafPif

PifPafPif Rock Star

I wish CLAP to succeed, too.
    See how devs can't obtain a VST2 licence now : VST3 only !

3. acatnamedharmony

acatnamedharmony Ultrasonic

I mean part of the problem has been certain DAWs implementation of VST3 (most notably Ableton). Which software dev would really spend a bunch of time working within a framework that can't get used within one of the most popular DAWs? VST3 has been out since 2008 and Live didn't implement it's usage till 10.1 in 2018 a full 10 years later.

Edit: 2019 so more than a decade later...

4. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Yep. The only CLAP plug-ins I have installed are Vital and Surge, but they seem to be working perfectly.

The weird thing is that it seems like I get a bit better performance with the CLAP version of Vital over the VST3, but slightly worse performance with the CLAP version of Surge over the VST3. This is just from my own observations, and not from any "scientific" comparisons between the versions, so there might not be any difference in performance at all between the VST3 and CLAP versions.

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Reaper as always supporting a lot of formats. It still supports DirectX plugins... BTW, Reaper devs complained a lot back in the day about the VST3. Well, who hasn't...
    It's interesting what you say about the performance. It should be roughly the same, at least for most. Until plugin devs take advantage of that shared thread pool feature for CPU eaters.
    You're right. It's a new format. But since with plugin formats technically there's no standard but "de-facto" standards like VST, or proprietary ones like Logic's, ProTools...