Chromebook makes a decent OS for entry level DAW work.

Discussion in 'Mobile' started by kooper, Feb 14, 2023.

1. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

So I have a dear old friend I used to gig with in a working band years ago. He is an accomplished musician, performer and singer/songwriter. He has done several solo albums, but not in the DAW realm. He uses an older model Yamaha porta studio. It is old enough that it is not even interfaced with any online device (laptop, desktop, iphone etc). He has the older version that burns wavs to disk. So we've been talking about gigging again, and I am introducing him to the wolrd of DAW, so we can work togehter online if we wanted to.

So I am setting him up with a chromebook, and a presonus interface. It's better than his iphone by far. He got the chromebook for $80 (under warranty), a wireless mouse for $15, and a presonus USB 96 interface for $100. He already has the mics, the phones, and the studio monitors. So I got what he needs to be somewhat complete for a little over $200 (after tax and shipping). I have tested my chormebook with that interface, by installing the free mobile version of n-track. Works well. I was actually mixing 8 audio drum multitracks with that on my chromebook. It's not bad for entry level. I got him on discord and he will use the chromebook to connect to our discord server. I will teach him how to upload his own mixes to his youtube channel. He has had people do this for him up to now. He will also be able to listen to streaming music with his studio monitors. Just a lot he will now be able to do that he could not before. Not bad for around $200.

I found a free android file format conversion app, and even an android app that compares to audacity for simple audio editing. He can upgrade later after he's used this a bit. He has avoided computers in general so is pretty much illiterate.

So here is the thing I am currently after. There is a service for ios called audioshare. I have it on my ipad. I like it a lot. It lets us dp many things on ios, that come in handy. One thing I'd like to be able to do is to have 2 android apps open at the same time, and copy data from one audio app, and paste it into another. I have been trying to do that between Lexis (audio editor) and n-track free.

Anyone know how to do this on android? Have 2 apps open and copy/paste from one to the other?

I have had limited success. I wish I could do this directly with copy/paste.

3. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

..... I need to follow this thread :like: