chords from melody...any fast way?

Discussion in 'Software' started by samsome, Oct 2, 2021.

1. tori

tori Platinum Record

I like Scaler as a learning tool, sometimes I find interesting exotic scales or I can try and hear different chord progressions fast. But it's not a good idea to depend too much on it. Wouldn't really use it to find chords for a melody, or making songs, that's a little lazy, and lazy ways are not really good for learning about music. For me, Scaler is just an interactive book of scales and chords.

2. Riviera

Riviera Member

:bow::bow::bow:
    :like:
    Not simple rules. Lots of complex, mid-complex and strict rules. The rules that are boring to follow, and that's why a lot of people decide not to think about the rules at all.
    When you don't comply with the rules, probabilities will increase. But the high probability means that most likely the music doesn't give the sound it has to give.
    I'm not commenting on that.

3. Riviera

Riviera Member

You're right but what to do with those white keys? :keys:

4. I'm not sure if you're serious. My sarcasm detecting meter is in the shop for repairs.

5. Riviera

Riviera Member

I'm so serious.:rofl:
    I've seen a lot of people recommend white keys, but didn't say how to work with them.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

I use it for prototyping, then I draw up some charts before moving over to my guitars and keyboards. I consider my ears to be the ultimate song writing tool and Scaler works great for it's intended purpose :)

7. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Press them with your fingers :wink:

8. Riviera

Riviera Member

Freely?

9. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

No, send me $10 first :rofl:

10. I've only ever had one piano student and she was so annoying I stopped giving lessons. She wanted to learn without theory. Which suited me because I don't know theory. I am self taught. Which is why I feel capable of teaching you the very first thing I discovered for myself and it formed the backbone of my entry into hundreds of variations on the keyboard. If I had been taught I would have said "thousands of variations" but...y'know? Too hard for me. So here it is, no pictures, no youtube videos.
    Beginning with the white keys.
    Starting with a C Major.
    The C is the white key immediately to the left of the two black keys.
    Using your thumb on the C, middle finger and small finger (the pinky if you want to get technical) press three keys, with one white key spaced between them. You will be playing C, E and G. This is a C Major.
    Then using the same formation, you can move up the keyboard until you arrive back at C an octave up.
    On the way you will have found the chords that make up almost everything that's been a hit since man produced the first musical sound by breaking coconuts open on his head.
    Yes, B, D, F is an exception to this, but let's not go there now.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

This software is useful for auditioning different chord variations, just turn off the drums!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  12. Riviera

Riviera Member

All of these methods are good. No one can complain about them.

There are two entities that always play roles in making music. One is coherency, the other is logic.
    Something can be coherent, but isn't logical. Something can be logical, but it doesn't have cohesion, and something can be both coherent and logical.

Music theory aims to use logic to create coherency. The logics expressed in musical theories are powerful that try to justify how musical elements should be used.

Is the purpose of theory just to show logic?
    One of the goals of theory is logic. The more important goal is to use theoretical logic to create maximum coherency.

Is it possible to achieve coherency regardless of logic?
    Yes, can be reached. Many of today's music has shown that such a possibility exists. but there is no guarantee that such coherency will be powerful.

One can dare say that the purpose of today's music is just coherency, whether logical or not. And that the only expectation of listeners and music distributors is only coherency so that they can sell the artwork as a single work.

PS:
    There's a situation where coherency in not demanded too, which makes creating artwork easier and more enjoyable for everyone. Maybe that's what the next generations of music listeners want. Who knows?:winker:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

This is how the pro's do it, which isn't a million miles away from bashing out a melody in Scaler. What should be noted is the initial idea and the finished song are entirely different things.

14. RobertoCavally

RobertoCavally Rock Star

Beware! One day I WILL install this Scaler thing! I'm kidding not...!! :guru:

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

There are a million ways to write a song, and it's good have a lot of different techniques that you can call upon. Scaler is something I use if my mind is blank, and it usually gets me going. I mostly generate new ideas while playing my guitar or piano, but I will never knock the software approach as it has kickstarted quite a few things for me. The best tool that we all possess is our imagination, and sometimes on bad days it needs a little help :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  16. rikyjacho

rikyjacho Member

plugin boutique scaler may help with this

17. Why are you asking such complex questions when you claim you don't even know how to play the white keys? Do you want to play or learn theory? Or do you just like composing long proposals that have no simple answers?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. Riviera

Riviera Member

They weren't hard questions. It was all just one question:

Can we do whatever we want with notes and sounds?

If the answer is yes, then why use software like scaler? We can ask for help from a cat instead and teach it to just move on the white keys.:winker:

19. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Thank you for your lesson in logic - let's see if I am getting the hang of it.
    Please excuse some obvious structural plagiarism as I adapt your quotes...
    There are two entities that always play roles in making troll posts. One is stupidity, the other is irritation.
    Something can be stupid, but isn't irritating. Something can be irritating, but it doesn't have stupidity, and something can be both stupid and irritating.

One can dare say that the purpose of today's incarnation of Foster is just stupidity, whether irritating or not.

Hey yes - I think my mindless plagiarism seems to work pretty well.

Does anyone really need any more signposts here? :dunno:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Riviera

Riviera Member

The greatest master of idle talk...