chords from melody...any fast way?

Discussion in 'Software' started by samsome, Oct 2, 2021.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Download a manual for your car somewhere or buy a manual for your car. There are also workshop books with instructions.

2. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

F.F.S. it's 2021 - Why get your hands dirty? :dunno:
    Just take a selfie of you standing in front of someone else's car. Then use that to brag about your pimped ride.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

software sometimes pretends to be able to do it like a musican can when improvising, but it will never be able to do the same.

4. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

it is a mystery to me why someone needs to find the "right" chord for a note anyway. the next note you play when improvising should already contain a harmonic context in your head.

and it is more or less impossible to find a matching context anyway because there is no fixed ruleset.

5. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Why not steal a car it will be more simple.

6. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

D maj / B min doesn't have an F in it :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. Riviera

Riviera Member

Because it's the way music works no other way around. Music has very strict rules that ignoring them would leave you in bewilderment in the middle of producing music. Ofc, most people love this blurring disorientation because it sets the computation section of their music production at rest. Music-related computation is nightmare for music producers.
    It's possible. Everything depends on your systematic thinking. The more you think systematically, the more control you would have.

8. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Forum Quiz Time...
    Question:
    Is Marseille part of the Riviera?
    A can of Foster's available as a prize for the first correct answer. :rofl:

• Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

source? youtube tutorial by DJ Blub?

no it is not possible. and it has nothing to do with "thinking".

bach fugues have a completely different ruleset than tibetan monk music or pop songs by john lennon.

an algorithm has no chance to know what style something is unless it has a huge KI with 100,000 songs in the database, and not before you played the first 2 minutes of it.

it is a plain nonsense attempt to find the "right" chord of a given melody in realtime.

it does not have anything to do with "producers" either. (i should use that as footnote, because i have to say that once a week somewhere^^)

give me 25 notes and i´ll find you 25 different harmonics for this melody in under one hour. (not to speak of the fact that one might as well compose music by first having the chords)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. boingy99

boingy99 Ultrasonic

There are three easy ways in software:
    1. Scaler 2
    2. Scaler 2
    3. Scaler 2

11. lbnv

lbnv Platinum Record

You wrote here, you requested tutorials which are usually much longer than 5 minutes... 5 minutes? Are you joking? You have wasted considerbly more than 5 munutes already. :yes:

There are no simple ways, remember it. :guru:

12. WillyA

WillyA Producer

Studio One v5.4

13. Riviera

Riviera Member

Your speech is like a person's who's in the middle of a musical adventure and he's faced with a lot of options and doesn't know what's what. Of course, as you're thinking about multiple choices, it shows that you have an active mind. I hope you continue on this path and realize how music works. There's one more thing that keeps most people's minds busy in understanding music, and it's facing with different styles. Remember that, style is not music. Style is style. Style is a very limited use of music.

14. Riviera

Riviera Member

I'm not saying these things are bad. It's not bad for those who are just getting started and can help them to produce fast. But fast ways aren't always good. Long ways are boring, but there's a lot to learn in a those ways. In a long way, you get a lot of experience and understand a lot of things better, but in a short way, you get to the destination quickly and the motivation to learn more is stripped away.

15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

It is better to have a large midikeyboard (61 keys/49 keys) and to be able to do a few grips. Then you can delete the scaler and make real music. Play a few notes and chords yourself. Let a little human in the music flow in. Machines are lifeless. Sing again.

16. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

A good starting place is to master the key of C/Am and you can always transpose your keyboard to play in the other keys. Once you know everything about C/Am you can then learn another key. Most musicians have their favorite keys that they know very well, but for learning the basics of music theory I would recommend sticking to C/Am.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

Guess why... :winker: On keyboards white keys are simpler to play, and that's why there are so much fake books around (that personally I don't like).
    But you're right, for beginners is the proper suggestion.

18. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

no, i am a composer since 35 years and a software programmer since 20 years.

which is why i look at "scaler" & co as a misleading childrens toy and will tell every beginner to ignore it.

this type of software makes people like you think that "music" is made of a handful of simple rules, which it is not.

even if you really only allow 3 chords there are still 1764 ways how to add harmonics to the melody of "fuer elise".

and i have no idea to put regulations on you or argue over it, so you just have to trust me: the normative power of the de facto has it that you can not write an algorithm which knows in advance which next note values will follow in the future. :D

one can actually experience what i am talking about without deep knowledge or personal experience and you also dont need to know bach or stockhausen by heart. go on youtube and search for "depeche mode remix" or something like that - and you will find a lot of pop songs where somebody applied completely different chords to the same old melody.

20. Do you love music? Is it in your head all the time? Is every minute of your day enveloped by music? Does a musical instrument fascinate you? Do you spend every spare minute playing because nothing else is as seductive as music? When you hear music that moves you do you wish you could play like that? Do you try and copy the songs you love? When you hear a song do you try and unravel it in your head? Do you do this even without an instrument? Can you picture sounds in your mind? Do they make shapes and patterns as they move? Can you see them as moving, living things? Do they have color and texture? Do they have moods that you can identify? Do some patterns and tones make you feel emotional? Are there songs that make you happy, sad, angry...or do some songs make you want to weep? Do you listen to music and get a lump in your throat? Do your eyes sting because your heart aches from a song?
    If so, then the answer to your question will come to you in due time.
    If not, then you are perhaps never going to know music.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List