Chord Track Question

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by spacetime, Nov 18, 2017.

1. spacetime

spacetime Platinum Record

for the life of me i cant figure out how to size chords the way i want

I cannot make small fast 1/32 stabs or other size related stuff

The chords are one bar long, is that it? How to change the size fast, cant be bothered to edit one bar chords

3. beatroot

beatroot Producer

Hi spacetime.Look up some tutorials on 'How to step input MIDI.'Also check your quantize settings eg 1/8 ,1/16,1/32 which determines the number of steps you can input in a bar.How to select a group of Midi notes and size them by dragging all notes or selected section of notes ,left or right to sustain or shorten them.Also read up on 'snap to division or bar 'etc.This is assuming you don't know much about midi editing.There are many shortcuts within your DAW that could simplify the whole process.This may sound confusing but it is really easy once you get the hang of it.Cheers. :wink:

4. spacetime

thanks, i played around with the quantize before but it did not work, must have done something wrong..

Also, for fast work it seems you need to use keyboard shortcuts in cubase

5. EastBoundSounds

EastBoundSounds Ultrasonic

Sustain and Decay in the ADSR should do it... Shorten them for quicker more staccato style hits... Seems like that's moreso what your looking for

6. The-RoBoT

The-RoBoT Rock Star

For fast input use either a MIDI keyboard or the Built in Virtual Keyboard.

7. Cav Emp

Cav Emp Audiosexual

I don't use Chord Track much as I mainly produce in Live and record in Cubase, but from what I remember the Chord Track events are drawn in based on your quantize settings. So set grid resolution to Use Quantize, set quantize to whatever your note lengths should be, and start drawing in your events.

Seems like kind of a stupid system if that was all there is to it, since you'd have to change your quantize every time you want to change note length, but that's as deep as my knowledge goes. Maybe @Von_Steyr could swing his big knowledge dong at us and save us from our ignorance :)

edit: also the Robot is a notably skilled Cubase user IIRC, so if he's saying midi input it's probably worth a shot. Never tried it so idk how that works yet. I'll have a look at it but I'm working in Live right now and just using AS to procrastinate

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Did you try dragging the chord track parts to the midi track and change the length in the midi editor?

At 4:01

P.S. your post is two month old, is it still relevant?

9. spacetime

yes i tried, it does not work

Sold Cubase

If i go to hell after this life i will probably be using it again

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

You could use the arpache midi plugin as a midi insert on your instrument track...set the note length to 1/8th...this chops up the midi signal...

then, explode (if i remember the term correctly) the midi parts... Which should now give you midi events with desired note lengths...

Hope i explained it right...