chord quiz?

Discussion in 'Education' started by fraifikmushi, Dec 5, 2017.

1. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Hey guys,
    I want to train my improvising, on piano.
    Does anyone know of an application or android app that shows a random chord to be played (like Gmsus47), listens to the chord I play on the piano and shows whether I'm correct or not?
    You know, like musical flashcards?
    That would be awesome!
    Or does someone have another viable idea?
    Yes, playing from realbooks, I'm already doing that, but I really want to be pushed out of my comfort zone.

3. foster911

foster911 Guest

Hi @fraifikmushi
    I know you hate me but I love you. Let me say that improvisation is piddling around if your goal is production. Everything is being specified in the production and memorizing and remembering the pitches and chords on vast amount of sounds are pointless unless you want to look at the music like the instrumentalists do when the whole sounds they know are Piano, Guitar, and Woodwind or String instruments or Vocal. You know there're billions of sounds and pitch and chord combinations on them sound different. More than 90% of the process of calling to mind is having familiarity with the timbre of sounds and less amount remains for the pitches' remembrance. You can never ignore the timbre specially when they're dynamic and morphing into other sounds. How do you want to get familiar with the timbre of whole sounds when you can't even track peaks on spectrum analyzers?

BTW, embarrassment for a musician isn't not being able to memorize pitch combinations on 12-TET system and imitating them by their fingers but the biggest abashment is being Foster and not being able to decide what to make.:bleh:

Let's @MMJ2017 and @23322332 open their books and inundate this thread by their overflowing knowledge.:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

maybe take a look at EarMaster 7 Lesson 1.4 (no Android but PC version available with MIDI keyboard input and other features)
    *unlimited free version for first lesson.

[​IMG]
    https://www.earmaster.com/

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. DoubleSharp

DoubleSharp Platinum Record

Once harmonic content is greater than triads then chords can be synonym of each other. EG Am7 = C6 = FMajor9 (no root)

Realbooks? Jazz Realbooks? If it is jazz you're playing I would suggest the teachings of Barry Harris.

I think if you've got to a certain level and understand the basics of chord construction maybe you should be looking into voicing and inversions.

6. foster911

foster911 Guest

Sorry I forgot @DoubleSharp . Yes he's a genius too, chord genius.:bleh:

7. DoubleSharp

I wish.

Whenever there is talk of music theory you're always challenging the perceived wisdom!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Ok, thanks, but I really need it the other way round. I have 13 years of classical piano training and I know how to read/guess chords and read sheet music. What I search is a tool that helps me learn chords and scales by heart. Like interactive flashcards, only for musical training.
    Ok, so?
    Thanks for Barry Harris tho, I will check him out. I like him as a pianist, I didn't know he's a teacher!

@foster911 I don't hate you. I just think you're a nutcase and have you on my ignore list.
    This is not about timbre. It's not about creativity. It's about memorizing. I want to be able to play any given chord and scale whithin a blink of an eye. Yes, I know, it's practice, and I'm searching for a tool that helps me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017
  9. BudSpencer

BudSpencer Producer

Mate, this Android App is not quite what you're asking for, BUT it has some useful funcionalities.

[​IMG]

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chordtrainerfree

This one is centered around chords, but it has a similar sibling, for training interval recognition.

[​IMG]

I hope it helps a little!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. foster911

foster911 Guest

Appreciated alot.:)

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

@MMJ2017 I just kidded my lovely friend. You know I've always enjoyed your expertise and really am a real admirer of it. The problem is linking sounds to the music theory and no one takes it serious, just that and really sorry if you got miffed of my quoting you but was quite impartial.:bow::mates:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017
  12. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

fraifikmushi has said: "This is not about timbre. It's not about creativity. It's about memorizing. I want to be able to play any given chord and scale whithin a blink of an eye. Yes, I know, it's practice, and I'm searching for a tool that helps me".

Your statement is very interesting from the cognitive point of view: You clearly want to study specific patterns/elements which relates to the genre of your preference (that interests you, directly). I totally agree with you: not everything has to do with innovation, breaking established milestones and avant garde/experimental music research.

There is a bunch of musicians I see mostly coming from academia who try hardly to propagate spectral, microtonal, acousmatic, atonal, twelve-tone or even new complexity music as if everyone should be interested in avant garde/experimental music as doctrine (ideology). They find that conventional music with their schematas and patterns are extremely tiring. But they lack the perception that this outdated opposition between "new" versus "old" (where the unusual is always more interesting and valuable) is even more tiring.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  13. foster911

foster911 Guest

No allegation should be ignored. Of course there're tones of evidences for any of them. I have posted lots of snippets showing that all those considerations must be contemplated unless you'd want to stick just to specific views like Eisenstein did when he totally ignored Quantum physics of his time (that deals with probabilities) in his own formulations.

14. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Yeah ok, here comes that cultural relativist maxims that insist that all music is equally valid. There’s no such thing as biological imperatives (like "what-who-where-when-why" neither mother-infant communication, social bonding, sexual selection), right? Maybe 'cos a 12-year-old’s first attempt at songwriting has just as much artistic merit as Billie Holiday/Abel Meeropol's Strange Fruit (It can be a great marvel or total s%it!?!?!).

yes, this kind of relativism ensures that any kind of music can be written, just like a postmodern/experimental chef would presumably create bold new original dishes incorporating ingredients such as coal dust, styrofoam, and plutonium. Not many humans eat inhuman food. And not many humans appreciate inaccessible music and visual arts... (a tiny minority within the minority do, though ...).

So, according to this utterly delusional thinking, no allegation should be ignored... but in social terms, nobody gives a damn about it!

[​IMG]

(...)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  15. DoubleSharp

You won't be disappointed.

16. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

17. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

because talking or even KNOWING the way music actually works , is harmful in some way or hurts your musical pursuits?

thank god brain surgeons and sky scrapper builders dont think this way!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

your good my pink brother!
    just trying to figure out why your think knowing thousands of available options at any point you are trying to write "hurts" you somehow.....
    why you think "ignorance" (i mean by definition not insult) is comparable or EVEN BETTER than having "knowledge" (by definition i mean)
    why you think having the knowledge of writing a beginning, middle and end of a song would be crippling to you somehow?
    just wondering why you don't think humans work a specific way physically emotionally and psychologically regarding soundwaves, and how knowing how that is to use that as a writer is harmful to you in any way?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017