Chord Progressions 101 (multiple questions)

Discussion in 'Education' started by Desantïs, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

As many people know by my questions I am a newbie here and want to thank everyone for the support with my very basic questions. I have been making remixes and tracks out of previously used chords and created my own melodies which have been very successful but at the same time it leaves me wanting more, wanting to create my own chord progressions and using more music theory in my productions. I have a good ear but lack the fundamental theory of chords so bear in mind while I ask some very 101 style questions. Please explain in VERY simplified/dumbed down terms like speaking to someone who's looking at a book for the first time (which I basically am, honestly I have read a bit but it's not clicking)

1) In chord progression I've read about stable chords vs unstable chords to create tension, I think there's a third one as well. I make Electronic music so I am thinking for the first breakdown I use 'stable' chords then I would use unstable during the build up? Or do I use the tension chords for that? Also what exactly is the difference between stable chords and unstable chords?! :( Do I basically use the type of chord for the part in which the song is at? That's what I am trying to get at. so first 16 bars would be stable next 8 bars on breakdown stable, then when the build up happens use unstable/tension chords?

2) My next question is lets say I have selected a key G Minor for instance. I go and look up chords for G minor and find one that sounds good. I play the chord.. Then where do I go next? Is this where the chart comes in such as vi-V-VI-V? I am assuming each of those roman numerals represent a specific chord progression? Does it matter which key this progression is or would I use this formula for any key?

Urgh sorry again but I am dedicated to learning this, I hope someone can shed some light on chord progressions and theory.. Maybe a very easy formula or step process until it clicks a little more. Music is my passion so I will keep at this till I learn.

3. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

First learn all the basic chords (min and maj or moll and durr) and how You create them: (CDEFGAH...)
    Than learn how You create a 7th, 9th, 13th. and so on...
    Than learn ie. a circle of fifths, fourths...

by than, You shall get all the questions answered

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

TONS of videos of this stuff online... Google\Youtube are your friends

5. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

Best Answer
  6. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

+ worth to check the chord related articles on http://edmprod.com/?s=chord

in DAWS ... Cubase has a very nice tool

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  7. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

8. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

thank you i'm watching the videos now:wink:

9. xbitz

xbitz Rock Star

and one more book should check the COMPOSE YOURSELF!: Songwriting & Creative Musicianship in Four Easy Lessons book on Amazon its "The Harmonic Journey" chapter is priceless

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  10. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

wow this is overload.. I wish I had a teacher with this stuff.

11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

And man, if I may, it's just the beginning...
    Theory can be confusing, there are tons of tutorials (books or videos) on the sister site, I've dled dozens of them just to pick a few that were right with how I learn. I kept a few I'll check and give you references...
    The couple of questions you asked cover a lot of ground on the topic, don't worry you don't have to study 5 years before understanding stuff, but without at least a few basics, if any one really answers to your questions in technical terms it would be like hearing chinese (and not speaking it).
    Rhodes advice was the right one, he pointed you to the right basic stuff imo.
    I love theory now, but it was pretty hard first for me, be patient if it's the case for you, it pays up real good when you start creating your stuff while knowing a bit what you are doing.

Good luck !

12. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

If I may ask can you give me the most helpful tutorials that taught you Talmi? I appreciate your honesty it's hard but I see the potential in learning. I am not interested in learning how to play the piano or keyboard I just want to work right in my daw piano roll and craft chords/melodies there.

13. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

Ahoi, Steve! just some 2ct here: if you wanna dive into chord progressions and music theory in general you might find the "Rapid Composer"-application interesting. It comes with a lot of theory, already wrapped into useful tools and functions and might help you explore the possibilities and variations of chords, harmonies etc. You'll find some helpful videos about this application on youtube (e.g. youtube-channel "chriscauldermusic").

14. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

There are not that many chord progressions in common use, the trick is to learn how to use them :wink:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I've barely scratched the surface, being a beginner myself, but there's a couple of good books for music theory/composition for electronic/computer musicians.
    There are many good books about music theory, but for what you explain take a look at these:
    "Music theory for computer musicians"
    "Composition for computer musicians"
    Both by Michael Hewitt

And I agree with the mate who recommended RapidComposer.

16. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Sure thing, check your P.M in 5 minutes...The ask video serie was great, it's not on AZ anymore...Rapid composer great tip, but if you don't know a bit of theory it's not gonna mean much to you first...

17. Spinks D

Spinks D Member

Moziac Beats Auto theory. Then just jam away.

That's if time is a commodity you don't have a lot of. Would obviously be better to have the knowledge.

18. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

What Ask Video series was that?

19. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

add 11s, add9s, sus2s and sus4s ftw :D

20. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

ChordPulse is your friend :wink:

21. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Learning fundamentals of Music Theory, Voicing and Chord inversions will get you further than Apps.