Choosing My Recording DAW (Tight Budget)

Discussion in 'DAW' started by kingjamm, Apr 5, 2016.

1. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

Hey guys, it's been a while since I was here but I'm looking into getting some opinions on choosing a recording DAW. *Note by the way that I have a separate DAW for the beats/instrumentals. But I my music production DAW friendly for vocal recordings.

Here's the sitch.

I'm currently trying out Pro Tools first (Since I'm on a tight budget, this is the only pro tools I can afford which works quite better than the SE / LE Versions.) I'm looking into other options that I can afford since Pro Tools first only gives me 8 Channels, so what I tend to do if I have at-least a 4 layer vocal, I bounce it out together and then put it in 1 channel so I could use the rest and if it doesn't fit no more, I'll make another project, which kind of obviously time consuming. I had a cubase 5 but I'm looking into something newer, since I can't afford to upgrade to the higher cubase and the version I had is not eligible for upgrades. My only current options are (this btw is going on legit softwares no piracy included) are Magix (which is not really ideal for me but just putting it out there) or Sonar. Which leads me to having the option of either: Just stay with Pro Tools First and save up or get Sonar. Which I can afford maybe in the next couple of months if Money comes in decent. (Referring to the Steam Version if you guys are familiar with it, it's very cheap.)

Boils down to the options of
    • Sticking with Pro Tools First and take my time for a while
    • Sonar (Steam Version) Goes around $55 I believe
    • Or any other suggestions?

Thanks guys, looking forward for some feedbacks, thanks. :)

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

Best Answer
    Tight budget, i would go test Reaper ASAP its 60day evalutaion and it will cost you 60 usd if you want to buy it. its very cheap but that doesnt "bad quality" or anyting related.
    http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

You don't mention what you are using for an interface. If you buy a PreSonus, Studio One comes with it. But Reaper is very flexible, powerful, and to me, fairly intuitive. Also, unless your conscience bothers you, cracked versions are out there....just sayin'

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Yuri

Yuri Rock Star

Mixcraft 7 is another option. It's about $90, but similar to Reaper it does have internal 32-bit plugin bridging if that's something that would be useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

Reaper, last I checked, you get full functionality even after the trial, just a nag screen... right ?

I don't know for sure anymore, because I bought my license a while back, thoroughly worth it,
    no other daw even comes close in the price to benefit ratio.

8. notremid

notremid Producer

+1 Cockos REAPER

9. Boujwa

Boujwa Ultrasonic

Try Tracktion 7 .

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

I've been hearing reaper quite a lot almost forgot about it. I believe it's like the cheap Pro Tools. Will definitely give it a try.

Using a Lexicon Alpha, that's how I got my cubase. Might stick with it for a while since I'm looking forward to replace this with something with a lot of channels in the future, so I'm good with it for the meantime. :) But any recommendations tho? :)

11. kingjamm

kingjamm Newbie

I appreciate the feedback guys.

Boils down to Reaper and Sonar which I still have it in mind since it looks nice tho haven't tried it yet hehe.

12. Beth

Beth Guest

Another +1 for Reaper from me :)
    It does all i've ever asked of it in the way of recording/mixing etc

13. Gnib

Gnib Producer

14. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Pro Tools First is a sham and a frickin' scam. Just don't.

Try Reaper - inexpensive, frequent updates/fixes, lightweight, and great support - and cross-platform (PC/Mac), and uses more than one plug-in format on Mac.
    Try Ardour - cross-platform, open-source, lightweight, uses VST and AU on Mac, and a full version is available for as little as $1 (if one be so cheap/broke).
    If you're on Mac, Garageband is both dirt-cheap and capable of great things.
    Tracktion 7 is really good, lightweight, cross-platform, uses VST and AU on Mac.
    Bitwig - like Ardour and Tracktion, made for PC, Mac and Linux; lightweight; runs both 32- and 64-bit VSTs without a third-party bridge; has some innovative (Ableton-like) features in addition to the more standard DAW timeline. My sole comlaint about it is not being able to change time signatures mid-project. It's also more expensive than those previously cited.

Good luck; try to keep things as simple and non-proprietary as possible.

15. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Reaper!!!!!!

16. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Studio One free You get unlimited audio tracks, MIDI tracks, buses, and FX channels.

And of course Reaper.

17. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I bought a license as well, but havent used it yet. I kind of like the nag screen. I use it like a time clock to keep track of how many hours I put in

18. MorteKai

MorteKai Ultrasonic

I'm a FL user,..... REAPER :)

19. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@subGENRE now that you mention it.. sounds like a better way to go... and just keep getting my updates on the Z... :rofl:

20. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

You can just keep downloading the updates from them. Install it right over your installation.

21. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

+ 1 to the power of 100 for reaper.
    insanely cheap for what it's capable of .
    also , as already mentioned i think you get 60 days trial with no limitations apart from a pop up alert to register wich appears briefly on startup.
    nothing else like it that i know of. podium is free and good, but has not been updated for eons.
    still if you are on the bones of your arse it's worth considering...