Choosing Acoustic Monitors and Heaphones

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by djmonkeystyle, Jun 29, 2011.

1. geiar

geiar Noisemaker

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry.. no offence.. but I was just imagining the guy in the shop wearing headphones, stepping back and forth while listening.... :rofl:

2. Nanuhi

Nanuhi Newbie

I cant get in mind how to use ANY of KRK. Harsh upper end, almost metallic. Extremely stupid bass. No mids. Hate KRK.

3. Duu

Duu Noisemaker

Google's quite right.....take a cd or whatever of something you're very familiar with.....what I will say is I did just this when I bought my little Rokits, I actually went to buy samson Rubicon's but the bass response was crap imo anyway. There's many factors when buying monitors the room they're gonna be in, the music you're gonna be producing how you're gonna position them and so on. It's important to make you're own decision though, go to the shop open minded try a few out and have a squint on ebay see what's goin on!!!!!......Good luck!!!!

4. EMB

EMB Newbie

That's well said.

If you (OP) - by years - are a good customer, he/they will also give you those headphones for a listen at home at your own environment.
    The most important thing IMO is the reference you have in your mind. You only know, how it should sound for you. If you get some "chickenskin" it might be the right choice.
    By comparing those different headphones, do not listen to long on them at the beginning. (Your ear adapts quiet fast, and you might cheat yourself)

That's why here's no recommendation from my side.

5. FishMixx

FishMixx Newbie

For monitoring I actually use 15 year old Pioneer speakers but I know them very well and can achieve a balanced mix.
    I have used AKG headphones for monitoring for about the last 12 years, the first pair I bought I have still got now and they still work, but I recently got the MK2 version and they sound even better. The headphones are AKG 240 MK II and they cost about £90 and well worth every penny.
    FM

6. opty

opty Newbie

the hs80m by yamaha are nice as they give good resolution in the mid range and can be tuned to your room (to some extent). The KRK have more "depth" compared to the yammis but do not give that much resolution. If you plan to get an additional sub you may choose the HS50M instead. Cans I use mostly AKG depending on the job. I have some K141, K121 and a K271... The K271 are a nice choice imho as they are semi-closed and can be used for tracking vocals etc without too much bleed. In any case: if you plan to do this for some time you may buy some cheaper monitors and keep them. always good to have different monitors at hand to check. Regarding the sound I have found that the more boring monitors sound, the better. In the end of the day there is also a lot "getting used to" the monitors involved.

opty

PS: stands are a good idea, too.

7. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Ok next question is: Yamaha HS80m vs Fostex PM-1 MKII vs KRK VXT 6(this pair is still uncertain, because I can get it for about 500$/pair from a friend who is not decided, but if I can't buy a pair of KRK, I have to decide for Yamaha or Fostex). I need help, room 20m2, hip-hop production for bass like I asked in this link: http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/87-how-to-make-bass-like-this/

Fostex are 6,5" and have bass reflex front, Yamaha are 8" and have bass reflex behind and pair must be dismissed from the wall about 50cm for good sounding bass.
    Which pair is better?

8. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

yamaha hs are very clear and pure, perfect for classical music or soundtracks.

for strictly hip-hop i would rather go with KRK.

can't tell anything about Fostex...

anyway, you can always grab a sub for HS80/50 in the future...

9. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Today I have the possibility to buy a pair of Adam's A5X for 400$ too, same as Yamaha price. Are they would be better than Yamaha HS80m? Does Adam's need a subwoofer? For rap music obviously.

10. juboh

juboh Member

Yup!! Totally agree!! Yamaha HSM 80 is awesome!!! Bought it 4 mths ago!!

11. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

Been using the DT 770 Pro 80ohm for a couple of years, a few months ago bought the HD25s from Sennheiser, both solid headphones. I'm gonna use the HD25s for live performance as well

12. ionutz

ionutz Newbie

If you're looking for monitors, I'm using the BX8a from M-Audio and until I have enough money to buy the Genelecs or the Dynaudios that I want lol I'm probably gonna keep these

13. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

Ok last question: Yamaha Hs80m vs KRK Rp8 G2 for hip hop music production, which would be better? Price of that two monitors are same.

14. SAiNT

HS80 are great monitors... but strictly for hip-hop i'd maybe choose KRK. :dunno:

15. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

I heared that KRK monitors are good but for djing, not for strictly production. That's very hard choice, well other people's maybe? No one of forum users comparise Yamaha vs KRK Rokit?

16. SAiNT

that's exactly what i think about KRK :)
    i used to had one pair... gave them back after a few days *no*
    now i'm on HS50 and i think it's great, except the basses.

you could get a pair of HS50 + Yamaha's Sub... maybe that would do better than HS80 alone. :dunno:

17. ZUK

ZUK Rock Star

I have an ADAM P11A and now i love it. but the first 2 week i think are broken. :D
    Remember, it's important to have a good pair of speakers but also the acoustics of your room.
    What you hear is the result of the two.
    My Adams sounds differents into the kitchen, bathroom or studio.

cheers.

18. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

If we knew your budget We could give better opinions based off of that :grooves: ?

19. Undisputted

Undisputted Newbie

About 350$ for pair. Thinking about Samson R6A, Tascam VL-A8, Behringer B2030A Event TR6, Yamaha hs50m, Alesis m1 active 520. I can get Yamaha hs80m for 415$/pair also, but it's to expensive for me.

20. AudioDoct3r

AudioDoct3r Newbie

Check out the rokit series rp8s are great if you an afford them but rp5s are also great!