Choosing a label

Discussion in 'digital labels' started by Gantre, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Gantre

Gantre Newbie

Well, i just wanted to start a topic to know where you send your demos and why.

I mean there are tons of labels to choose from but they all seem the same to me.

So how do you know where to send them? (You look at the rooster of artists that the label has? ; How famous is it? ; Reputation? ; You don't freaking care and you just send your demos to everywhere?)

3. xsze

xsze Guest

You want to sell you music in first place, get some spotlight, so you have better chance with bigger labels, in reality there is no chance to release something there because you don't have enough publicity for that business, so you turn around and see infinite numbers of bedroom net labels.

Look for everything, artists, followers, reputation, what music they release, can they do something more than just put your stuff out there, every day new label is born and to release something today is piece of cake, so little research is must. :wink:

You can send you demos to every big label, but you are not the only one, you have bigger chance to enter that label with connections and when they actually contact you, so in other words when you gain enough publicity.

So you are left with numerous small labels that are good starting point, if the situation is different you would definitely know where to send your stuff, even have signed future tracks with them *yes*

4. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i would not send any of you beats/songs to any labels because many labels have many connections with producers/Beat Makers already.. and if they like your Beat all they have to do is contact a producer that is already established that already has a name for them selves and tell them they wont a Beat like that and change it a little bit and you are out of the picture what i do is find good Rappers and Sings to record on my Beats and Songs to showcase my stuff DON'T TRUST ANY ONE MONEY WLL MAKE PEPOLE DO FUCKED UP THING's even have any Rapper's and Sing's that you get to showcase you r beast to sine a contract saying (( that if they make any MONEY using your Beats that you are entitled to a percentage of it and get full credit for the beat production )) :wink:

5. Carface

Carface Noisemaker

Why go to any Label, give up your rights on your tracks and just get max.18% of the income ?

Get 80% of the income and keep all rights and royalties for your self !!!
    Look here: http://youtunez.com/en/

Label are dinosaurs and have dictated the music industry long enough !

6. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Carface Nice info thanks

7. Dickbrain

Dickbrain Newbie

nice carfare

8. geraldthegenius

geraldthegenius Noisemaker

Its all about who ya know man. If you REALLY want to get on a label, get in contact with someone who's already on the label or knows the ar personally. Demos are a complete waste of time imo. I have submitted tons when I was just startin and out of a couple hundred only about 10 responded. I started to think my music was just shitty after being ignored by so many labels but it turns out tons of artists with way better tunes than mine have the same problem if not even worse. Always better to work your way inside out than outside in with labels.

Like X said go with labels that offer more than just distribution. Most labels nowadays don't even promote your stuff other than a few posts on their blogs and maybe a feature or two on the front page of beatport, itunes, etc if they are big enough. So def be ready to launch a extreme promotional campaign or pay a company to do so

9. dokx1

dokx1 Ultrasonic

There a a couple of services like Youtunez, and of course it is an easy way to get your music on iTunes, Amazon etc. Then your release is one in a million others. Bigger problem is to be found in all those shops then - promotion is a big task here.

But maybe you have to take care of all your mixing/mastering/art work etc. yourself, which can get quite expensive (especially mastering).

Finding a label has its benefits, like getting your tunes mastered, or relying on the label's artwork or fanbase for distribution. Of course I'm not talking about the big industry, but there are fine small labels where I would like to be on with my tunes no matter if I would ever see a dime or not.

Look where smaller acts similiar to your style get published. Don't look for the big names, look for independent stuff.

Look for free labels like Ektoplazm (which have quite high standards btw). Don't expect to be published by Deadmau5 himself with your first releases. ;) Go smaller steps.

But first of all: produce your music as good as possible, then ask a couple of good friends for their honest opinion. Hear what they are saying.

Spread your music within your circle of friends. Put it on Youtunez if you get good feedback. If you earn some money, reinvest it.

10. johanna

johanna Newbie

Easy as it sounds! Wow! :) :dancing:
    Hit me on a dance floor!