"choked" end sound, how to reproduce when sampled?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by EddieXx, Dec 10, 2023.

1. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Im sampling some vsts on the mpc and this Korg Ms20 preset "5th Level" (and many other cases) have this particular "choked" sound that rounds up at the end tail. Im struggling to reproduce it on the MPC with the available filter tools.

original preset on the vst
    http://sndup.net/sscy

Sampled sound
    http://sndup.net/pp7x

Any ideas how this is done, or if its something modulating at the synth level and therfor hard to reproduce with the mpc "program edit" tools?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
  3. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Installed Korg MS-20 to be sure that my answer would be accurate.

That's because you need the filter envelope to close on release. Try a shorter release on filter's envelope.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

Thanks for taking the Olymoon! i will try it later tonight. Ive noticed Its common to many shorter synth or stabby sounds to end this way. Im far from a sound designer, had to star figuring these things out first when having to reproduce the "fx" live after sampling the dry sounds.

---
    edit: Taking the time!! lol :bleh:

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

This will be the solution. The only thing will be for you to find the right setting for the filter, and the right time for the release.
    If you look at the Korg MS-20 (with magnifying glass, as the plugin have re-rescale function. lol) You will see that the Filter's envelope is "envelope generator 2" , the one which is in vertical in the middle of the synth. It's release is set to 3.10 .
    The filter is sent to this envelope through it's HPF filter with an amount of 7.0 and it's LPF filter with an amount of 3.2.
    These parameters are set using the knobs on the 4th line from the up - down, and the 4 and 5 from the left to right.

I hope that this helps.
    [​IMG]

6. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

edit: i think its starting to work, setting the depth to full and a low cutoff and adjust the sustain. Its sounding a bit like closing the filter at release. not 100% the same resolute closing effect as the vst but sounds like it could do something similar, im gonna try a bit more and see, its me not knowing this that well that takes time
    ----

I think the MPC is limited to filter only on the attack. Ive heard people complaining that for a sampler Akai hasn't really fully developed it to what it should be.

Im not 100% sure but i think there is no way to filter on release. Darn. But in any case ive learned a whole lote more with your observations Oly many thanks for that

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2023
  7. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

8. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

I got curious so I installed the MPC software, as I've wanted to demo it at some point.

An aside: Installation was very smooth and worked with my controller straight off the bat (Mikro Maschine). Took me a while to navigate to a pad filter settings but I think I figured out the basics.

So... Something like this ought to work: set Sample Play to Note-On to make the envelopes ADSR. Then set the filter to your liking (MS20 is 4-pole lowpass, right?) and Cutoff to 0, Resonance to fairly high for a more pronounced "thwup". Then set the Amp Envelope to a suitable one, but keep the sustain fairly high, then the release again to a comfortable fade-out on pad release. Then Filter Env to fast attack (maybe 0), sustain high, decay suitable, release fast but not to zero, keep it faster as the release on the Amp env, if the filter fade is not long enough, increase it, but also increase the amp release to longer. Then increase the Filter Env Depth to suitable, probably fairly high not to mess with the original sample too much.

Maybe the screenshots will help, so here goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

The difficulty here is that there are 2 filters, each going to a different dose of envelope. Something you can't reproduce exactly with the mpc.
    But for that particular sound, I would sample it taking off the envelope send, and creating an envelope for the mpc filter in the mpc.